View Single Post
Old 11-07-2020, 11:46 PM

Default Re: DR DRE Interview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
organ? that's goofy. clearly a synth, and likely the Moog Slim Phatty that Adrock was endorsing around that time.

in reference to credits, i feel like the bboys treat their sidemen as session players in this regard, pay them a flat rate to jam with them, and then extract varying snippets and build songs around them. so if Mark randomly played a lick in the heat of an improvisation, and they build it into an entire production, then I don't think they owe him songwriting credit. otherwise session players would demand songwriting credits on every song they've ever played on.

much like how Clyde Stubblefield was paid scale to play drums on a session, not collect royalties for the hundreds of times Funky Drummer was sampled throughout history.
Yeah I didn't say he was right. I was paraphrasing, and chose organ to imply he was probably wrong. But I'd have to really dig around to find the actual quote.

I agree with your sideman theory. I did a music video for a guy once who complained about coming in to play some licks and then hearing the song on the radio years later, built around his licks. Multiple times. He was a huge crybaby about it, and used it as an excuse to squeeze me out of a deal.

(people were trying to license the video I made, not his music. specifically not his music. I offered him a 50/50 split anyways, and he threw a fit about me taking his hard work to make myself rich. I thought it was extra funny, because I was basically the sideman in this scenario and he was trying so hard to screw me. The licensors walked away.)

message board