Thread: biking
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Monkey News

Default Re: biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmo105 View Post
Man I wish biking in LA wasn't so completely terrifying. I used to ride all the time when I lived in a quieter neighborhood and now I live near much busier streets and no one knows how to drive around cyclists. There are a few dedicated lanes and even a path or two but getting to them is pretty gnarly.

I recently took the retractable rear wire baskets off the back of my old-ass Trek and though I do love how much lighter my bike is I miss having sweet baskets when I needed them for groceries and books and stuff. They looked so damned cool.

Oh, also, on the most recent CicLAvia I rode the subway next to a guy who had the most amazingly beautiful tricked-out bike I'd ever seen. Deep wood paneling everywhere, plaid cloth padding, a wooden 6-pack holder with the LA symbol worked into the metal frame, and a fucking flask holder in place of a water bottle holder. It was glorious. He beamed when I told him how nice it was and said it was "a lot of fun to put together."

Bikes!
they just started painting in bike lanes in my city. funny thing though is that they've started installing them in the affluent suburban areas where people getting around on bikes is more for fun. bike lanes aren't even needed in these areas. they should be in the downtown areas where they could actually serve a meaningful purpose.

there's a bike path that runs up and down the river. they've even installed substantial bridges to cross RR tracks. this path could be used as like a central thruway with offshoots every few blocks. nobody uses this thing. I don't think anyone knows it's there.