View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Adrock and Rick Rubin talk for the first time in decades...

Definitely some good points there. I'd be pissed too.

That must have sucked on a few levels too. Imagine you're like 16 year old punk rock kid, hanging out with this super cool guy in his NYC dorm room having all these good times, then you start having these crazy experiences, then you BLOW THE FUCK UP and become international sensations... then one day you kind of realize that this is actually all happening in the mouth of a giant corporate record label and the super cool guys are pretty on board with all of that shit. Then you're not getting nearly as much money as you thought you would (which - to be fair - I feel like very young musician I've ever known believes at some point: that record labels are just going to throw money at them and definitely not bone them out of every nickle they can). Then you realize that the super cool guys want to keep making you do these records as these personas that you've kind of grown to realize are stupid and you hate being.

Still though, if things hadn't been so acrimonious, the Beasties might have been trapped a Def Jam even longer and put out White House or some shit, and maybe never would have had the amazing careers they did. I get Adam though - I'm also one of those people who still doesn't just forgive and forget because ultimately things turned out ok. If something was shitty, it stays shitty, even if other things around it turned out well.