View Single Post
Old 01-28-2021, 11:22 AM

Default Re: Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Agree with everything brooklyndust said.

I knew the Beasties had a relatively privileged upbringing, but it wasn't until I read Beastie Boys book that it really stood out to me (again, not in a bad way, just kind of hit me later in life). So much of the early part of the book was about how they spent their teenage years just going to Danceteria, Roxy, etc. and all the crazy fun they were having. It crossed my mind that if I wasn't working every day after school from age 14 on my family and I probably would have just died of exposure. When I was younger I used to think "Man, maybe I should have just said fuck it." Then I remember that we only think that's cool when it works out - which it usually does for wealthier people - but when some broke ass kid parties instead of works, we just call him a loser when he inevitably ends up a broke ass man.

But anyway, I'm glad their parents had their shit together enough to give those dudes the time and resources to become my favorite band.
Yeah, even just having the money to go out. At that age I was lucky to have like $20 in my pocket that I could spend freely. I don't know what the prices were like at NYC clubs in the early 80s, but I doubt they were partying every night for free. I remember there being kind of a rift at a certain age where kids start going out more (for me this was around 18, so I had more than $20... maybe like $200 in the bank), when I had to say no to a lot of my friends because I didn't have the disposable income they had. Or I'd say yes and next thing I know I have like $5 to my name.

Not trying to say I had it so hard and the Beastie Boys were spoiled brats that didn't know how good they have it, it just seems clear they may not have ever become what they are if they didn't have disposable income, stable living situations and parents that were willing to let them go out and do what they wanted at a young age.

If this is gonna be that kind of party, I'ma stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

Last edited by balohna : 01-28-2021 at 11:25 AM.