View Single Post
Old 01-21-2020, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Beastie boys in Mojo magazine March 2020 edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Cheese View Post
"moved hip-hop somewhere new"

this is where I think PB gets overrated now. Not in terms of the music cuz it is a classic album but as being the go to album referred to for taking sampling and hip hop to a new direction when 3 feet high and rising and nation of millions came out before PB
Good points. Although I think the Beastie Boys were very influential for lots of MCs and hip-hop groups at a personal level, I always felt that their influence on the genre was overemphasized (which I think actually makes them a more remarkable group). By that I mean, people say (nowadays) how Check Your Head was so influential in its time. I dunno... I was alive then and I don't remember this at all. Yeah, some people jumped on the bandwagon for a minute, but I don't recall a lot of hip-hop/jazzy instrumental/punk rock albums coming out after that. I also don't think sampling your own instrumentation became any more popular in hip-hop.

I actually think that the Beastie Boys influenced hip-hop like a passing comet. Their gravity definitely had an effect, but they were very much on their own course and would then blast off into the distance and record some crazy ass shit for the next album that no one was ready for. Do you remember 1998? Do you remember anything sounding like Hello Nasty that year? Do you remember anything sounding like it in the 22 years since?

Edit: I would like to also note at this point that figuring out that 1998 was 22 years ago has totally doinked me up and I don't think I'm gonna be ok with this reality any longer.

Last edited by tuc70021 : 01-21-2020 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Existential dread.