Thread: Desperado
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2015, 05:14 PM

Arrow Re: Desperado

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
so amazing still having this conversation all these years later.

i love all of you.

PS - we're never going to get that version, I don't believe it exists.
Think about it though, it has to exist. If you listen to the version in Tougher than Leather, it sounds like a fully polished studio recording. It sounds fully mixed and mastered. It would be kind of odd for them to record only the parts shown in the movie.

My best guess is that they recorded that track for the movie thinking the Beasties would stay on Def Jam but then when they fell out that changed things and the master tape is sitting somewhere in Rick's archives.

It's possible that the track didn't end up on the soundtrack to the move because the Beastie's left Def Jam and the rights weren't clear. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think Beastie's fell out with Def Jam by the end of 87 (they fininshed touring in August and Def Jam wanted them to go right back into the studio, etc.). Tougher than Leather didn't come out until September of 1988.

I wonder whether they had already agreed to have the song in the movie but the rights weren't as clear as far as a proper release and then everything got shelved due to the dispute.

It's got to be out there somewhere.