View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 PM

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

First off, I want to thank this wonderful community. I have been dying in my skin for the past 1 1/2 days, sort of out on an island because I'm really the only person I know in real life that loved the Beastie Boys as much as I did. Reading through this thread though, it's made me feel a bit more connected to my brothers and sisters who are out there on this same, terrible journey with me. And for that I wish to say -- I don't know you, but for your testimonies I love you all very much.

Second (and most important of all I say here), I wish to express condolences to MCA's family, Mike D, Adrock, all of MCA's friends and his fans. Your loss is certainly almost too tough to bear -- but know that me and all of the Beastie community walk this road with you. To Mike D and Adrock -- if you were to do any kind of fund raising for cancer awareness, or perhaps some sort of musical event as a send-off for MCA and a charitable event to support the causes he held dear... I would be supportive, either by presence, by donation or other means.

MCA taught me many things, he taught me how to appreciate hip hop and when he brought social consciousness to the group, he taught me how diverse of a message music can carry. MCA elevated my level of thought by listening to those amazing flows and encouraged me to care about things that weren't inside my tiny bubble. Being a fan of the Boys was an honor, for being a fan, at least to me, meant also being passionate about groove... about hip hop... and being honorable. Knowing that MCA was absolutely on the quest for harmony, truth and enlightenment, it pushed me in that same direction. And now that I'm 35 and smart enough to understand what it was that was pulling on me when I was just 17 and listening to "The Update", among other tracks... I'm grateful for the role that he played in shaping the man that I am today.

It's up to us now, gang. Consider yesterday's events graduation. Adam once said, "I think every person has the ability to affect change... Every one of us effects the world through our actions... through our thoughts, through our every word, the way that we interact with people we're constantly affecting the world." If we all REALLY wanted to pay tribute to MCA, then we've gotta take his example and practice those principles in our daily lives. And that is in the end what I hope MCA's legacy is really known for, that because of his actions he encouraged a mass of people to push forward, and keep his dreams alive.

RIP... Rap in paradise... Mister Adam "MCA" Yauch.