View Single Post
Old 07-07-2017, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Solid Gold Hits - Did B-Boys Have Any Say?

Keeping on the custom anthology theme...

I grew up in a medium-sized New England city (so pretty small by the rest of the world's standards) and was living there when The Sounds of Science came out. About a year later, this one record store (I can't remember if it was a chain or a local spot) had tons of custom anthologies. This was back when you could sell CDs for a decent price to record stores... maybe you can do that still but I'm so out of it I don't even know.

Anyway, I never bought any, but it was cool to see how people put these together. You could see the real mainstream people who basically put Licensed to Ill and then all the bit hits from the other 4 albums at the time, then there were the trippy people who had a lot of instrumental and bugged out tracks, etc.

I don't know if this record store actually bought these off of individuals, but I like to think that they ordered a whole bunch of what they thought were legitimate anthologies from some shady record distributor and got stuck with a whole bunch of customized mixes.

Anyway, good times.