View Single Post
Old 09-18-2017, 05:47 PM
CANADA'S BIGGEST BBOY FAN

Default Re: Mike D live at Riot Fest 2017 - So Watcha Want and Intergalactic

I was there with Jennyb, right on the rail. It was fun. Very relaxed, this is what I posted on facebook to my friends, Ill just copy it here.

It was a fun set. I had zero expectations on what to expect, I thought maybe he was just going to be playing random songs off his macbook and thats it. Little did I know they were taping a setlist down to the stage, and he would start the set by playing So Whatcha Want and then rapping his own parts. He did this with other Beastie Boys songs like Get It Together, Sabotage, Intergalactic, Its The New Style, he also played a couple bits and pieces of other songs like No Sleep Til Brooklyn, the drum intro of Shake your Rump. He did more of a history of hip hop type set, and spoke about music that influenced him, and played hip hop tracks from NYC, Atlanta, LA, Chicago.... stuff like Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, Big Pun, T La Rock, Outkast, Jay Z, Missy Elliot, DMX, Run DMC, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg... it was very chill, and he had a backing DJ that would play these tracks and Mike would speak over it, dance on stage, go behind the decks and lower the volume to sing himself....it was very beastie like, in the sense of, not much practice was put in, but he had fun.

He also came out earlier in the day, on the same stage, to perform his guest vocal spot with Slaves on their song Consume or be Consumed. I had just walked in to the festival and noticed 'oh isnt that the band that Mike D sings with...' and as I get closer to the stage I see Mike D is already on stage with them and they are about to start the song. I ran up and started filmed and freaking out, so its a bit of a blur. lol

http://mic-to-mic.blogspot.com/

Last edited by paulb : 09-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.