View Single Post
Old 10-07-2004, 04:56 AM
I'm Crazy Sniffable...

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

So I've read the thread and I've seen a lot of "in the wrong" and "not in the wrong" flying about. Perhaps it's my limited opinion, but I don't think in this instance there is a wrong or a right per se. But there is opinion and perception. And unfortunately that clouds people's minds and puts them on the defensive.

I look at it like this...so Yauch and the Boys felt that the song promoted or was likely to incite violence towards women. I can understand where that feeling comes from. The song is titled "Smack My Bitch Up." It's an intense track and the fact of the matter is people do take things literally. They do. And if no one is making the effort to look for a deeper meaning in it, well than the arguement that the song could promote violence against women is a valid one in my mind. But what also has to be said is that anyone looking to do harm to women was likely always, in a way, looking to do that. And while the song, however interpreted, may have put the feelings of violence over the edge-- it's not entirely fair to blame the artist/the song for that. Those feelings were there long before the music was, most likely. But on the same token, it's not at all wrong to be put-off by the song, thinking that it could incite violence. Or that it could push already existing feelings to a point of no return.

From where I sit, I don't feel like either the boys or Prodigy were "in the wrong." Prodigy are entitled to make whatever kind of music they'd like to make. But with that right comes the fact that they do have an influence, if not a responsibility. You put out a song like that and there are going to be some people that are offended or will seek a clearer definition of your motivation. And there will be people that misinterpret and take too literally the things you put out, regardless of the original intent.

To find the song offensive isn't being in the wrong. People will have differing opinions, as demonstrated by this thread. An opinion isn't wrong...even if the opinion runs contrary to what you believe. So the boys aren't wrong for feeling the way they felt. And they aren't wrong for asking them not to play that song. They asked. Prodigy declined and played it anyway. Prodigy felt it was slight by the Beasties asking them to not play the song...that's understandable as well. And them feeling that way isn't wrong either.

As for the whole Beastie Boys sucking/Prodigy sucking comments. Well, you know that's what we call subjective. And, to me, it's not the focal point of the arguement at hand. And before I get picked apart, this all just my opinion and how I personally look at this particular debate. I can only hope people are respectful of my, as well as each other's, opinions.

What Makes This World So Sick and Evil?

Last edited by AdrocksMyBody : 10-07-2004 at 05:00 AM.