View Single Post
Old 02-28-2019, 06:22 PM
Current Member

Default Re: Adam Yauch’s Last Song

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
I feel like we've had 7 years of musical silence from the band (more or less), and I think that's fine. I think when a band comes out and says "we're done," and they really mean it (that is, no more bonus releases, no unheard tracks, etc), there's kind of a peace in knowing that you've got the legacy of the group, all your favorite albums, and you can just sit back and remember the good times.

When bands keep popping back up "out of retirement," I get this uneasy feeling like "are they gonna drop some super shitty album and kind of taint their legacy?" Even if they aren't doing anything, if they're the type of band that would do something, it just.... I dunno.... makes me kind of cringe.

I have around 300 records, and 100 of them are Beastie records, all from the catalogue that exists now. I'm cool with what they've done. They were the soundtrack of my youth, and so far, a lot of my adulthood. Would it be neat to hear Adrock jamming on some weird hippy jazz bugout track for 2 hours? Sure. Do I really want to hear it. Not really. He's done enough for a lot of us already. The dude can sit back, order Chinese food, watch judge shows, and have fun with whatever awesome thing is next in the post-Beastie world.
100%. I feel it’s a continuum rather than a binary yes/no with these guys, but either way we all have come out better off for there having been a band.

Shout at the Devil!