View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 10:33 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Hester Diamond Sothebys auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Holy shit. Multi-million dollar pieces there. Never quite realized how loaded the D's were.
Most people know that they all came from an upper middle class background.
The older I have gotten and the more I understand the type of money certain careers net, the more I have realized that they were probably closer to the upper category than the middle class one. Architect, Established Playwright, Art Dealer, homes in the Upper West side.

All of which is something they have never denied, yet is something they never really went out of their way to talk about either. Which is fine, cause in the end, it doesn't really matter.

There is a reoccurring story with art, fame and pop culture and generally success. We all love the story of the person with the last $12 in their pocket sleeping in the back of their car. But on a closer look there are a lot of artists who have had some huge advantages that the others don't; Ben Stiller / Jerry Stiller, Anthony Kiedis and his babysitter Cher, Maya Rudolph / Minnie Riperton, Rashida Jones / Quincy Jones, Drake's uncle was in Sly and The Family Stone.
Dwayne The Rock Johnson loves telling his rags to riches story but he also had connections through his father and grandfather mixed with a gift of genes, talent and drive that others can't even comprehend. And the list goes on.

All of this is not discrediting peoples raw talent, skills and ambition, and there are many successful artists that have come from nothing and risen from obscurity. But there is also a lot who have had a huge advantage that the layman would never realize.

Again, something that Beastie Boys have never denied. And they have had the skills to pay the bills mixed with untouchable creativity and an insane drive and work ethic.

"Luck Is What Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

But I think it's an important thing to note that not everyone had some of the advantages they were privy to i.e. having free studio access to record Cookie Puss because their parents friends were returning a favour. Knowing the right people to talk to or how to conduct themselves in those circles when talking to those people. i.e. During the making of Paul's Boutique, Mike D casually mentioning to Joe Smith, the CEO of Capital Records "You bought a Brach from my father"

Not taking away from their talent and integrity but just another layer to their story that I have started to recognize that sometimes might be overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Seems really weird that Mike is selling his gold and platinum records. I'm a big collector, but even I wouldn't really want to pay that much for them. Seems like they'd have way more sentimental value to the person who actually made the records...
Same, I don't know if I would get anything from having those in my collection. It has always seemed that they don't really value the award stuff (moon men, grammy's), which I have always admired and respected them for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balohna View Post
I guess his dad became an art dealer as a way to make ends meet and was pretty successful, and when he died his mom kept collecting art with the foundation his dad left behind. Doesn't seem like they were born loaded or anything, but I could be wrong. The profile made a point of mentioning that she was a social worker and her husband was a teacher before becoming an art dealer.
Yup, they talk about that in this video here: https://www.sothebys.com/en/digital-...0610?locale=en

Really cool story. I agree, I don't think they were born into it, but I don't think they were too hard done by either.
There was one part where they mentioned that they used to rent art pieces for $25 a month when they were first starting out. Myself and most of the people I know would cancel Netflix if they raised it by 50 cents, so renting art pieces for $25 a month is money and a lifestyle that is a completely foreign concept for a lot of people.

I don't know much about art but can bullshit about it a bit. They said one of the first pieces they acquired was a Henry Moore, from my basic knowledge on Moore, that is not a cheap way to start your collection.

Mike or the rest of the band has never really flaunted their affluence, which is a common trait I have found with the few legit wealthy people I have actually met compared to imposters who always make a point of demonstrating it and shoving it in your face.

As usual, I don't know what know what I am going on about anymore but always enjoy the great discussion that is had on this forum.

Let me know if any of you guys cop some cool shit from the auction!

Last edited by brooklyndust : 01-28-2021 at 12:35 AM. Reason: you all know my grammar and spelling is shite