View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: SNL guitar smash

Along with Sure Shot, it's my all time favourite performances from them.

Bridges' smash Live on Saturday Night seemed contrived and unnatural. And no, it's not because I'm not a fan or unfamiliar with her but because the smash didn't seem to match the intensity of the song. So, I instantly queued up the Heart Attack Man performance to show my friends how it's done. I'm sure I have heavy bias.

For years I have had the same questions as you about that performance.

I wonder if there is any backstory, was Horovitz pissed or simply Ad-Rock was just being Ad-Rock.

Mike D seemed confused at the end of the guitar smash, hence the shoulder shrug he gives to hurricane.

The real questions are during the Sure Shot performance. Ad-Rock drops two ad-libbed f-bombs in the middle of the song, the second one you can hear Mike go "shhhhsh" trying to cover or reel him in.

It seemed like Ad-Rock flipped the bird to the camera every chance he got. Once during Sure Shot, Ricky's Theme and then again on the closing credits.

My understanding is that an F-bomb or veering off script on SNL from a musical guest is an automatic fine and lifetime ban / partial ban (Rage, Costello, Bowie, Cypress Hill, Fear, Zappa)
They were brought back 5 years later in 99 and then again for the 25th anniversary. So who knows why the f-bombs and the guitar smash and who knows why Lorne Michaels gave them a pass over others.