View Single Post
Old 01-22-2020, 09:43 PM
Mad Child

Default Re: Beastie boys in Mojo magazine March 2020 edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Good points. Although I think the Beastie Boys were very influential for lots of MCs and hip-hop groups at a personal level, I always felt that their influence on the genre was overemphasized (which I think actually makes them a more remarkable group). By that I mean, people say (nowadays) how Check Your Head was so influential in its time. I dunno... I was alive then and I don't remember this at all. Yeah, some people jumped on the bandwagon for a minute, but I don't recall a lot of hip-hop/jazzy instrumental/punk rock albums coming out after that. I also don't think sampling your own instrumentation became any more popular in hip-hop.

I actually think that the Beastie Boys influenced hip-hop like a passing comet. Their gravity definitely had an effect, but they were very much on their own course and would then blast off into the distance and record some crazy ass shit for the next album that no one was ready for. Do you remember 1998? Do you remember anything sounding like Hello Nasty that year? Do you remember anything sounding like it in the 22 years since?

Edit: I would like to also note at this point that figuring out that 1998 was 22 years ago has totally doinked me up and I don't think I'm gonna be ok with this reality any longer.
It was influential in a different way. It allowed artists like DJ Shadow and The Avalanches to do their white boy sample routines. Some of the best records of all time, by the way. Definitely not saying that pejoratively.

Mainstream hip hop wasn't really influenced by Paul's Boutique or 3 Feet High and Rising or It Takes a Nation. Those were unique records and none of them were "huge" commercial successes. If anything, they inspired underground crate digging. So, if you want to count those subcultures as influential...of course they were.

It Takes a Nation sold I think two million or something like that. Nothing to sneeze at but also not enough to begin a trend. Nothing like West Coast g funk or anything like that.

Thats insane, you're stupid...you should sleep late man, it's just much easier on your constitution.