View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 02:41 AM

Default Re: Why have'nt they released HSCPT1 yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Thanks for the info. I guess that makes sense that they are better at making the sounds originally than manipulating them later. I forgot how instrumental Mario C was on so many of their albums (and the Dust Brothers on PB) when it came to making them sound good, and even then there were problems. I have the Pass The Mic 12" Etched UK single and even when played on a perfectly normal stereo system, the "Booty, B-Booty" sample is out of phase and disappears every other time.
Yeah I think what it came down to is that they are good at getting a certain sound, but for that record, they wanted to "update" their sound. It is of course a matter of taste as far as what is better. It would be cool as others have mentioned to hear the original mix of the album and compare it to the released version.

I love the Mario C sound, my favorite is Check Your Head. But some people might prefer a more modern, cleaner sound. It is tricky because as an artist you are always trying to find the perfect sonic blend of old and new. You don't want it to sound entirely like an old record, you want it to sound current as well. Or maybe you do like to just go all in on the old vibes type sound. It is just one of the many creative choices one makes as an artist.

One of the things you hear people say when they are mixing and mastering a record is that they want it to "compete" with the other current releases. What they are talking about is achieving a bright modern sound and a loud master that when played in a mix, on the radio for example, will fit right in with whatever else is currently being played. It's not going to sound quiet or dark and lifeless in comparison to the other bright loud songs being played before and after it. I personally don't agree with this philosophy. I feel every artist should do what they do without thinking about what others are doing. Just because everyone else is doing something doesn't mean it's the right thing for me to do, or the right thing to do in general. But these are the kinds of things people are aware of as they come down to the last few steps of completing and mastering an album.