Thread: Breaking Bad
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2013, 08:37 PM
good reactions, etc?

Default Re: Breaking Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
I was comfortable enough with the ending of Season 4 serving as the 'ender' ending; I thought it degenrated into utter self-parody with Season 5 (Part 1). It was still entertaining, though.

Season 5 (Part 2) was a slight improvement, but by that stage the show had well and truly jumped the shark.

The ending was approporiate. Good, even.

But given time to reflect, by season 5 it just abruptly became this un-obtuse quasi-CSI thing. It just felt dumb. A series of sleazy magician reveals. Condescending, even.

The true brilliance of the show was, to me, the writers' willingness to paint themselves into a corner, and ability to paint themselves out of it with genuine flair and brilliance. Much of the writing and narrative arcs were inspired, once upon a time.

Nothing in either part of season 5 captured that feeling for me. It just became a series of preposterous coincidences and deus ex machina claptrap.

I was a fan since day one, so I'm not mad. Just my opinion.
hmm. i see what you mean, to some extent. i think that some of the complaints i had about the finale were scattered all around season 5; the train heist, the magnet thing, and so on.

but i do think season 5 was needed, if only to have the moment where walt's delusions well and truly blow up in his face. the whole time, walt thinks he's helping out his family, and he thinks he's in control and successfully hiding himself from them, to the point where he's even convinced himself.

but that moment where he crosses the line and gets hank killed, and skyler can't handle him anymore, and his son finally learns who he is, and he has that moment in the house, where he still thinks he's in control, and that he has to protect his family, only to have that "wake the fuck up" moment where his wife is bleeding on the floor and his son is protecting her from walt with his own (disabled) body...i dunno, i feel like it was a reality that needed to crash down in order for the show to end properly.

if it had ended at season 4, i think there would have been too much "so what, that's it? his family never finds out about it?" going on with it. maybe season 5 did lay it on a little thick at times, but i do think the basic plot of it needed to happen, i wouldn't say it jumped the shark.