View Single Post
Old 01-03-2011, 03:44 AM
not punk enough

Default Re: The Family Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by camo View Post
We got less than half of that and the country fell to bits.

Maybe Adam means snowfall like that warrants the ordeal we had to go through.
The difference in the UK is that we don't always get snowy winters so spending on infrastructure to clear snow is not needed, it's better taken out of an emergency budget and react to it but that does mean slower going. Although, for the past two years we've had a bad winter and because our memories are short, we think the UK suffers more and is less organised than countries that do have snow every year and manage to clear it - we think we get snow every year and fail at dealing with it when we actually get very little snow and it's a fair bet to spend money on other things.

When we get major snow storms it cheers everyone up, so what we're all losing pay - I feel bad for those that will struggle more because of it (as I am kinda now) and I don't want to see anyone hurt because of the weather (look after the elderly and vulnerable etc should already be a priority so I am not saying glad anyone is dead) but the trade off is some unexpected fun for the majority for a few days despite the inconvenience of a few (mainly journalist it seems). Climate change means more freak weather conditions but if we embrace it we'll learn how to get along with the damage we do rather than it making us more miserable. The same thing I hope we learn to do when we get more 30+ degree summers to