Thread: therapy
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2008, 09:01 PM
Cornholio!

Default Re: therapy

The most important thing is to get someone good. I know its been said before in this thread, but its incredibly important. A bad therapist is about as useful as tits on a bull. They have to be skilled, compassionate and hard - not afraid to tell it like it is if necessary - and you have to like them. Try, also, to find someone who is skilled in the issues you want dealt with - a drug and alcohol counsellor may not be the best with eating disorders, for example. Word of mouth is the best way to find a good one, ask people you know who have seen someone about their experiences with therapists. You also have to be able to end the therapeutic relationship if things aren't working out the way you want them to, usuallly its a good idea to talk with them on the phone before your first session. A short explanation of why you are seeking counselling, what methods they use, availability, possible number of sessions and regularity of sessions. Keep it short and sweet, most therapists are to busy to be kept on the phone for to long

I've been seeing a psychologist every three weeks for just over a year now for an anxiety condition and sporadic bouts of depression and other issues that I'm not going to go into here and she's very good. But, I also had the inside running, because my partner is a psychologist as well, so all I had to do was ask her who the good ones are.

Get a dog up ya.

Last edited by scotty : 02-05-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar