View Single Post
Old 03-01-2023, 07:07 PM

Default Re: The Nerdy Shit in '92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
As an avid collector, the bigger question I have, is why they didn't release any 45's during the CYH era? Every other era, including The Mix Up has 45's
I've often wondered the same thing. I wonder if they just had some much extra content that they decided to just put them all on 12" singles. Frozen Metal Head/So What'cha Want, Pass the Mic, Jimmy James, hell even Gratitude... they're all full of bonus tracks. But then again, having extra content didn't stop them from releasing 45s in the Ill Communication era so who knows.

Anyway, I'm still waiting for the experts to flood this thread and answer all my burning questions, but the discussion on 45s got me thinking of another one, which I guess is more of a record business question. How much control do you think the group had on all these releases? As any collector knows, there's a dizzying number of singles, EPs, and distinct versions of stuff out there, but I always wondered if the Beastie Boys knew much about what was going on. Like I get the sense that Adrock couldn't name more than two EPs or maxi singles (as evidence, I point to the Ill Communication album commentary when Futterman's Rule comes on and he says "Futterman's Rule is on the album?")