View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
Daisy...

Default Re: UK Queens Jubilee

I agree that, when considering the Monarchy as a matter of wasted resource, it is a very small issue in the grand scheme of things. It may even be true that they do offer good value for money, I dont care about that either way.

I think that the issue of having a monarchy is, however, an important part of the wider issue of the UK's democracy, and this is where I think there is room for change. MPs expenses, links to media and general MP scumbaggery are all high priorities to the public at the moment.

I dont think it would take that much for the public to demand sweeping changes to our governments structure.

All these issues could be addressed - unelected (including hereditary ) members of the second house, unelected real head of state (ie the PM is put forward by the winning party), having an unelected and hereditary ceremonial head of state, the existance of a privaledged state religion and tax payer funding for faith schools.

The last one may seem odd if you are not a parent, but I kid you not, I am having to move house at the moment becuase the best school in my current neighbourhood, which I pay for with my taxes, will not accept my 3 year old because he is not a Catholic. True story

I became operational at the H.A.L. plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 23rd of April 2006.

I am, by any practical definition of the words, foolproof and incapable of error.