View Single Post
Old 05-09-2023, 10:03 PM

Default Re: MORE Nerdy Shit in '92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
2. In Sound From Way Out: This was originally a vinyl only mail-order release that was a compilation of tracks from other Beastie Boys records. You sent your check to Grand Royal and they shipped the record and I believe that was the only way to get it. Sometime later they decided to do a wider release, and at that point they went back and made alterations to certain songs, like removing lyrics from Lighten Up and Namaste. It's a fairly safe assumption that they had a small-scale project that caught on and when the did the wider release they decided to put some more effort into the audio program.
But see that's what I don't get. I know about the mail-order first press, how there was the numbered limited gold edition, then the black first edition as well, and then of course reissues after that. But if they sat down to "put some more effort" into the CDs once they realized how big the vinyl had blown up, why drop Futterman's Rule? There's enough space left on the disc I'd assume. And I can't imagine they scrapped Futterman's Rule for - I'm sorry - the far inferior instrumental version of Lighten Up or Namaste.

Here's my best guess on this: they let Adrock handle the CD and he forgot about Futterman's Rule and just went "Oops... oh well" and no one ever caught it. My evidence? None. However, on the 2009 audio commentary for Ill Communication, Adrock is surprised when Futterman's Rule comes on and asks "Wait Futterman's Rule is on the album? I thought it was a b-side or something."

Let's spread this rumor and ultimately convince Adam of it so that he'll accept it as the official story and I can create my own closure...