View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 08:55 AM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

I the topic of Odelay, one of my top fav albums all time, High 5 (Rock the Catskills)
Always seemed the most Beastiesque to me. The beat, the distorted mic and even the sample that they would eventually use themselves for the De La collab in Squat.
The video itself has the Watcha Want thermal technique, running around in a forest and mugging the camera up close.

Not only was this produced by the dust brothers, but Minus was recorded at G-Son studios and produced by Mario Caldato, Jr., it also has that nice dirty distorted guitar sound. Wondering if Beck used any of the Beastie Boys gear or that guitar is a sample.
According to Beastiemania Money Mark also worked on Odelay but is only mentioned in the Thank You's of the liner notes but not credited for any specific songs.

The only other Beck song in recent memory that reminds me of Rock the Catskills with the ill communication distorted mic is Chain Reaction I believe a b-side from the Guero sessions, you can find it on the deluxe version of the album. The beat or bass line in the back reminds me a bit of the grittiness of the OG version of too many rappers.
Other fun notes from the Guero Album, also produced by the Dust Brothers, the lead single, E-Pro, samples the drums in Watcha Want and the remix version of the album, Guerolito has an ad-rock small stars remix of Black Tambourine called Shake Shake Tambourine

Last edited by brooklyndust : 02-18-2019 at 09:02 AM.