View Single Post
Old 06-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Arrow Re: Posse In Effect - Extended Demo (Previously Unreleased)

I was showing the video to my wife saying “some of this is pretty nerdy” to which she responded “yeah . . . some of it?” Haha.

The track came off a tape I picked up about 12 years ago. This guy had sealed copies of some Beastie Boys records that I bought and we got to e-mailing and he said he had a tape that he got from a guy who worked at American Recordings (Rick Ruben's label). So, he sent me a dub of the tape and it had the Desperado demo (the full version) and the Posse In Effect extended version on it. The full version of Desperado had not yet seen the light of day at that point. I did some tape trading of Desperado with a few other fans here. So, if you've heard the Desperado full version, that came off this same tape. Anyway, I held onto the Posse in Effect track for many years. When Yauch passed away, one of the things that was a bright spot for me, in an otherwise shitty situation, was the Chappelle show leak. I was listening to Jim on the Brouhaha podcast the other week and he was saying a very similar thing about that the Chappelle track, and I figured this might serve a similar purpose. Also, the guys at Beastie Mania have been bugging me about it for years (LOL)! So thank Mike (bigfatlove06) and the9thbeastie for their persistence. Those guys are the TRUE kings of Beastie collections!

But yeah, there's probably only a handfull of people who have heard this.

Brooklyn Dust, Those are original Country Mikes (one on black vinyl, one on red vinyl). I have two copies of Rock Hard, one that's open (has "BEASTIE" written on it) and one that's sealed. All those other early Def Jam records in the maroon sleeves are sealed copies of MCA's solo record, "Drum Machine". Honestly, I don't even know what my rarest Beastie Boys record is. As far as official releases, it's probably either the Lee Majors Come Again 7" (thanks again Mike!), or maybe the Aglio E Olio double 7". That original copy of Drum Machine on Jayco records is pretty rare but technically, that's not a Beastie Boys record. The super-rare stuff is all show vinyl and bootlegs, but I tend to like the official releases. There are a quite a few peeps out there who have way more than me.

And Skrilla, those standup arcade games aren't nearly as expensive as you might think. You can buy them cheap, you just have to learn how to fix them.