Thread: Girls
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 04:01 AM
Scientist

Default Re: Girls

It is amazing that a sizable majority of public opinion is against the band on this issue. Darn corporations, they practically control public opinion.
I did see this post online from one of the enlightened which I think is really good. One point I like is that the product itself is not overly impressive.

"I saw the ad online, loved the parody but not overly impressed with the product. But, given what I knew about the BBs not wanting their songs to be used in commercials (and the big change in their attitude towards women since that song was released and subsequent political activism), I assumed that the company had been somehow endorsed by the band, due to the girl empowerment message and the song re-written by them. Not sneaked out by a commercial company wanting to appeal to mums concerned by the increasing genderfication of kids toys. If the Beastie Boys had kept quiet, I'd have continued to think that.

If the company were so happy and pleased with their parody, maybe sending the video to the Beasties before launching it wouldn't have been a bad idea? Probably not as much publicity though..."

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."