View Single Post
Old 10-31-2020, 10:53 PM

Default Re: Beastie Boys Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
I mean TMR is certainly more deserving than Don’t Play No Game. But then again so is An Open Letter. Or any other Beastie Boys song.

Besides, we all have our favourites. Sadly I don’t think it’s a missed opportunity regardless. I mean who is buying this? Completists? Casual fans? There seems to be some misguided concept that the book and stage show have strayed into the mainstream

Beastie Boys have a huge devoted fan base and the book and story offered something new (albeit still retrospective) which they / we rightly lapped up. This comp does not.
I think you're right about pretty much everything. I bought the regular version and the red & white version, but that's just because I collect - I probably won't even open them. I get the idea I suppose: a book, a movie, a show, and a record. But yeah, the first three seemed like they were made for the more hardcore fan base, and this seems like it's trying to appeal to new fans. Which is fine, just a little awkward. I guess it's been a while since Solid Gold Hits came out, and to be honest, I think the band intentionally chose that cover to make the album as unappealing as possible because I can't imagine anyone looking at it and thinking "I bet this will give me an idea of the entire career of this dynamic band."