View Single Post
Old 11-09-2020, 11:19 PM

Default Re: Beastie Boys Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesleyOHSnaps! View Post
Yeah I know all that. Yauch also changed the first verse of his due to the line “I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death” I’m assuming he changed that cause maybe he knew he wasn’t going to make it. Maybe I’m thinking to much about that and it’s kinda dark to think but that’s how I took the change.
I took it the same way. I think he knew we would take it this way and he commented on it with his new verse. Or at least the first line.

Like a nexus six comin' home to roost
Hand-held fifty eight when it's time to get get loose

Probably everybody knows this, I think we have collectively talked about it on here before, it's possible this was someone else's explanation. But whenever I think about it, it really blows me away.

The Nexus 6 in Blade Runner come home to Earth , to the Tyrell Co., to try and get more life. They come home to Roost. Their past is catching up with them, (or lack of past) and they know they are going to die.

MCA replaced an artistic line about never dying, (a shout out to Nas and a shout out to the party never stopping, his work ethic never quitting and his voice ringing eternal on wax) with a line about 100% knowing he was about to die and he just wants to let it rip one more time on the mic. He came home to Oscope and grabbed his fave cheap handheld mic.

The dude is such a master of his artform. That's heavy heavy shit. And the beautiful thing is I /we could be wrong with this interpretation. He gives just enough to sink your teeth into what he could be saying. But also, it's just a really good line about rapping.

I don't know. My take.

message board