Thread: The Vault Index
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2014, 12:59 PM

Default Re: The Vault Index

I don't understand how people can still be confused about the unreleased potential of the HSC era. There's the obvious original version of the album, i.e. the one that existed before it's re-mixing / mastering and slight alteration of the track-listing (and before that magnificent original cover art was changed).

And then there are the songs which were intended for release as a separate album (which would have originally been part 2), which Mike speculated on releasing in a different (or novel) manner.

Even if the latter does not exist in the cohesive form of an actual album (i.e. sequenced appropriately, mixed properly etc), I definitely believe an albums worth of extra material exists from the HSC sessions, and was originally planned to follow up what would have been the 2009 release of Hot Sauce.

That aside I've always thought most the "vault" speculation is just that: speculation. The off-cuts of Hello Nasty on the remastered edition's bonus disc are hardly a treasure trove of material. The CYH/IC era would mostly involve endless jams and experimentation which never made the records for a reason, while material worth salvaging worked it's way onto b-sides.

I remember the studio list of song titles which appeared in the run up to TT5B (e.g. the Fila one?), and i know some of then ended up as genuine songs, but that's not to say the rest were properly recorded or evolved beyond a loose-demo stage.

Any dusty gems from the 80's worth salvaging?

Instead of songs or materials which either never fitted a particular album or were simply not good enough, I'd much rather see "lost" footage recorded over the years, from the potential pro-shot Gala gig to the obvious Holy Grail - further footage from that short Paul's Boutique club show where the Shadrach video was shot.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.