View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Sounds of Science vs. Solid Gold - Best introductory album?

As an introductory album for your casual fan, SGH is the way. No casual fans are coming for instrumentals, skits, b-sides, hardcore etc. The Anthology for me always seemed more a gift for the converted anyway, especially given the option to devise your own tracklisting and the ultimate inclusion of rarities among some shrewd selections.

Alternatively, I'd go with Micodin - start at LTI and go forward from there. LTI made sense to me early on, although seemingly quite far away from the Beasties I fell in love with (more Sure Shot, Intergalactic, So What'Cha Want - the 90s videos constantly on MTV). I remember playing Rhymin and Stealin on headphones in a local record store - I think the 2000 remaster/reissue had just been released - and thinking it was the coolest sound I'd ever heard.

In any case I actually bought the Anthology as my gateway. Obviously I latched on to the singles I had heard and loved (Sure Shot, Root Down, Intergalactic etc) and other hip-hop joints. It took a very long time to appreciate a lot of the other material - although granted, I was only 11 or so at the time. I don't think it opened my ears and inspired me to broaden my tastes in the same way IC and CYH did, as everything going on in those records somehow begins to make much more (and masterful) sense in the context of the actual albums.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.