Old 10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
Judge Mental

Default ATTN: UK Remixers

Hey,

I just wondered if any of the UK remixers on here had any knowledge of what the Manchester Midi School is like. I am goin to apply for a short two weekend course there on "dance music production". I havent the time to do the full two year course, just wondered if anyone could give me their opinion if you been there or know someone.
The reason I'm doin it is to get some experience of makin my own stuff and getting help on using new software and getting ideas. Until I get new software I am only really confident about doing mash ups with other tracks and its getting me a bit frustrated - hopefully this course will help me make tracks using samples and original sounds and give me a better shot of makin the music I really wanna make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
give it time, we will go in wonderous directions. mainly calling people cunts.

www.beastiemixes.com/Guy Incognito

Old 10-24-2006, 01:55 AM
Yorkshire Boy

Default Re: ATTN: UK Remixers

I have never heard of them so I can't help on that side.

With regards to learning about software, making music etc - you have all the tutoring you'll ever need at the tip of your fingers mate.

When I got reason, I went to propellorheads website first and watched a few video's on getting to use it with midi controllers and various settings etc and I was off.

There are online manuals, diagrams, articles, tips, tricks and user discussion forums for ALL of the major programs.

Once I had a grasp of which software was best for me, I got stuck into that particular one (ACID and Soundforge, only using fruity, reason or BFD for drum programming).

My issue came then in realising that I had no idea of how to compose a song. Again, I spent, and still do spend, a lot of time reading about composition - but these seem to be generic hip hop / dance / pop formula's, so I pretty much disgarded those and now just build and layer until I have what I feel that I would listen to if it were made by somebody else.

I try to only make music that I can put in my minidisk player and listen to. If you like it - you have an audience (even if it is just you). If you can't listen to your own stuff - why would anyone else want to?

break-beat-sample.blogspot

Badly Drawn Northerner

Old 10-24-2006, 12:05 PM

I agree with what chromium05 said. And: If you need help to decide which program you want to work with I would go to a good music store and let the seller explain the assets and drawbacks of different programs. and then book a workshop referring to the program you wanna work with. for sure all the midi programs work in the same way but it won't help you much to learn something about "reason" and then you won't find that function in "acid". I don't know your "midi school" but I know that most of the professional schools are pretty expensive and that the theme "dance music production" is maybe enclosing things that you are not interested in at the very moment (like copyrights, contract law uso). check the school's program, what exactly are they going to teach on 2 weekends.

chromium: the most helpful thing I can imagine is to learn about harmonics. its a very mathematic thing but once you see the scheme behind it, it will open doors to another world. I really like the punk attitude of hip hop (you definitely don't have to be a musician to do great hip hop tracks, on the contrary!!). but it's just great to know why things sound mellow or happy or mean.

two books I would like to recommend here (just in case that you guys don't know them already), both written by David Toop:
"rap attack" and "ocean of sound". these won't help much to produce but are very interesting and funny and show where the music, that we all work on, came from.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Judge Mental

Thanks for the advice people. I have got an idea of what i want to get, its just I personally, have learnt better from seeing and doing rather than reading. I get a bit mixed up and i just wanted someone to show me the right direction and its close to me. I think i will still go but will also take your advice about online help and book a workshop in a shop.Hereis the link to the course. I checked out the structure and its got some of the things you both mentioned abut structure and stuff. Lemme know what you reckon

Quote:

Old 10-24-2006, 02:47 PM

hey yeah. sounds great. this will be a lot of input for 2 weekends!!!! I think you can learn much in a group of 4. so if you go to the course it would be nice if you could tell us how it has been.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassdriver
hey yeah. sounds great. this will be a lot of input for 2 weekends!!!! I think you can learn much in a group of 4. so if you go to the course it would be nice if you could tell us how it has been.
Yeah I was worried it would be too much for my small brain! I will let you know - it looks like they know what they're doing. I spoke to someone there and they said that they run an open door policy and will alwys try and help where possible after the course. I will let you know. They try and get the groups with people with similar ideas and tastes as well.

Quote:

Old 10-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Yorkshire Boy

^^ The bit about grouping people with similar musical tastes is a good idea - £400 for 4 afternoons of being shown how to make garage / house would be my idea of hell, whereas 4 afternoons of hip hop would be great for me (providing the tutor knew more than generic cheesy synth stabs - and how to really flip samples). You may also meet someone there that you find you can bounce off of very well and could end up with someone to work on future projects with.

Take in what you can - try and get copies of reason / cubase and ableton so you can come straight home and put into practise what you have learnt that day - that way, anything that you have trouble with, you can question the tutors and find where you may be going wrong.

Enjoy it mate - and let us know how it goes and what you learn - then get some mixes thrown up!!

break-beat-sample.blogspot

Badly Drawn Northerner

Old 10-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromium05
^^ The bit about grouping people with similar musical tastes is a good idea - £400 for 4 afternoons of being shown how to make garage / house would be my idea of hell, whereas 4 afternoons of hip hop would be great for me (providing the tutor knew more than generic cheesy synth stabs - and how to really flip samples). You may also meet someone there that you find you can bounce off of very well and could end up with someone to work on future projects with.

Take in what you can - try and get copies of reason / cubase and ableton so you can come straight home and put into practise what you have learnt that day - that way, anything that you have trouble with, you can question the tutors and find where you may be going wrong.

Enjoy it mate - and let us know how it goes and what you learn - then get some mixes thrown up!!
The grouped thing is good but I kinda fall into two categories really, Big beat hip hop and dark deep house music. Basically I would like to have been the third chemical brother! So I dont know what sort of group I will be in but am sure I will learn summat, its not til end of November. Will keep you posted

Quote: