Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM

Default Last Yauch Public Appearance / Photo?

Does anyone know the last public event that Yauch was at?

There are pictures from a couple of film events around March 2011 (ie Jackass 3D premiere) http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=349

And there are reports that he appeared at Occupy Wall Street's march across the Brooklyn Bridge in November 2011 (but no pictures i have found) https://twitter.com/#!/OccupyWallSt/...70760757608450

Any other fan or press sightings or photos of MCA after March 2011?

Just curious that's all.

As an aside, like all of us, I am still so sad at the loss of MCA. Fan since 1986. Saw them live 3 times including epic show at Nassau Coliseum in May 1995.

We all knew that Yauch was quite ill and a few on this board had reported sightings of him in NYC walking with a cane (so sad) over the past year. The saddest new was the quote from his mom that his deterioration over the past month of his life was all so sudden.

As a doctor myself (although not an expert in head and neck cancers), I have to imagine that the type and stage of parotid cancer he had was particularly aggressive and so rare.

Lymph involvement at diagnosis was not a good sign - even way back in 2009. The beard he grew implied that he had a neck lymph node dissection in addition to the original surgery he had to remove the tumor.

Anyway - thank you for this great board and keeping MCA's memory alive. Sorry for the rambling post.

Rest in Power MCA
Old 05-15-2012, 07:25 PM

Default Re: Last Yauch Public Appearance / Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternmd View Post

There are pictures http://beastieboysgallery.com/

Rest in Power MCA
are you from rolling stone?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:28 PM

nope just a fan.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:57 PM

the last pic i remember seeing his him in between 2 people. his beard was pretty long...i think it was at a film festival.

thank you Adam.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
the last pic i remember seeing his him in between 2 people. his beard was pretty long...i think it was at a film festival.
Most recent last known is his Bard visit.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

The rest of the Bard photos I never put in the gallery out of respect because they are gut wrenching. :/ This was the best shot of him from the batch.

The other one you mentioned was with Spike Jonze.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/displa...isplay_me dia

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 05-15-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:44 PM

Well, at least he looked even more as his uncle. Still, pretty sad to see those photos. :/
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
Most recent last known is his Bard visit.....

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

The rest of the Bard photos I never put in the gallery out of respect because they are gut wrenching. :/ This was the best shot of him from the batch.

The other one you mentioned was with Spike Jonze.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/displa...isplay_me dia
:'( Still such a beautiful man.

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
the cowboy look with Sheryl Crow for the "Meek's Cutoff" premiere and the bearded pic with Rashida Jones, Seth Myers, and Justin Long for the "Monogamy" premiere are the ones you are probably speaking of, both March 2011.

they make we want to just reach out over time and space and give him a big hug. his eyes and side of mouth looked to have taken major nerve damage.

and as sternmd mentioned, the lymph nodes were bad news from the get go.

I'm so sad right now.

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:20 AM
Current Member

Quote:

There are pictures from a couple of film events around March 2011 (ie Jackass 3D premiere) http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=349

And there are reports that he appeared at Occupy Wall Street's march across the Brooklyn Bridge in November 2011 (but no pictures i have found) https://twitter.com/#!/OccupyWallSt/...70760757608450

Any other fan or press sightings or photos of MCA after March 2011?

Just curious that's all.

As an aside, like all of us, I am still so sad at the loss of MCA. Fan since 1986. Saw them live 3 times including epic show at Nassau Coliseum in May 1995.

We all knew that Yauch was quite ill and a few on this board had reported sightings of him in NYC walking with a cane (so sad) over the past year. The saddest new was the quote from his mom that his deterioration over the past month of his life was all so sudden.

As a doctor myself (although not an expert in head and neck cancers), I have to imagine that the type and stage of parotid cancer he had was particularly aggressive and so rare.

Lymph involvement at diagnosis was not a good sign - even way back in 2009. The beard he grew implied that he had a neck lymph node dissection in addition to the original surgery he had to remove the tumor.

Anyway - thank you for this great board and keeping MCA's memory alive. Sorry for the rambling post.

Rest in Power MCA
Welcome, and don't apologise.

While it's a little morbid, I too have been trying to piece it together in my head. So far a number of posters have claimed that certain shots are all from March 2011.

I always thought the Spike Jonze photo was in May 2011, and the Rashida group shot with the cowboy hat (Michelle Williams is in one?) came after that one; both being after the release of HSC2?

And so the Jackass premier may have been around the time the final edits for FFYRR were done and the album was about to launch.

The difference between these two periods is startling, and yeah in hindsight point to some heavy, troubling shit.

So sad, to think of what he must have gone through. And by all accounts he faced it bravely and with hope.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Basic As Fuck.

that are some heavy heart pictures there

-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gus
The friendship ended when I wiped my arse on his pillow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pres Zount
I don't really love you! Lyman zerga is on my ignore list, but you don't deserve it, you swine!
-------------------------------------

Old 05-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Mike D is a legend.

If you go on Flickr, you can find some more photos of Yauch there. In late March, he attended an after party for something called "Meek's Cutoff." Also, on May 2, 2011 (almost a year to the day of his death) in Los Angeles, there was a premiere party for "Fight For Your Right (Revisted)", in which all three guys got up on stage and said some words into the mic. Yauch didn't look well. He also had a bandage on the left side of his neck. He must have had to have another surgery, or maybe it was just from radiation treatments. Here's a link to one of the photos. I think this was the last time all three of them were together publicly. You can look around Flickr for more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellofl...57627070500425

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Last edited by birdfloatindown : 05-16-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:34 AM
Current Member

It's all really harsh. Can't imagine how harsh to go through and to witness first hand. Damn.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 05-16-2012, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfloatindown View Post
wow...

thank you Adam.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:50 AM

The FFYR I saw all of those when they came out. We posted I think one here but nobody paid much attention. I hinted at various times my worry even then but was called cooky and crazy. :/

Meeks Cutoff was March 2011

http://beastieboysgallery.com/index.php?cat=85&page=2

and this other screening was earlier that month.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/thumbnails.php?album=404

Bless him he was determined to stay out and do what he loved for as long as he possibly could.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:12 PM
WACK! JACKED! BACK! RIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdfloatindown View Post
If you go on Flickr, you can find some more photos of Yauch there. In late March, he attended an after party for something called "Meek's Cutoff." Also, on May 2, 2011 (almost a year to the day of his death) in Los Angeles, there was a premiere party for "Fight For Your Right (Revisted)", in which all three guys got up on stage and said some words into the mic. Yauch didn't look well. He also had a bandage on the left side of his neck. He must have had to have another surgery, or maybe it was just from radiation treatments. Here's a link to one of the photos. I think this was the last time all three of them were together publicly. You can look around Flickr for more:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellofl...57627070500425
I know I should feel sad looking at this picture (with a fatigued Yauch, and seemingly the last public image of the Beastie Boys)...but it brings a smile to my face. Brothers to the end.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

The fact that he got a rare form of cancer *angers* me. I'm like, "Why him? Why does *he* get a rare form of cancer? As in, something that is not common. Why did it have to be him?"

We live in a world where we found the cure for erectile dysfunction before we found a cure for cancer. I wonder if some of that money that goes into unnecessary wars went into cancer research, we'd be closer to the cure?

Ugh. Life is not fair.

Maybe it was Adam Yauch's destiny to do much in a short amount of time.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-16-2012, 12:20 PM
Mike D is a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Juice View Post
I know I should feel sad looking at this picture (with a fatigued Yauch, and seemingly the last public image of the Beastie Boys)...but it brings a smile to my face. Brothers to the end.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I originally put a link to another photo from that set, but I changed it to that one because I think it's the nicest one of Yauch. It's not a bad photo and it kind of shows the wonderful humor the three of them had together.

...one might say that the Beastie Boy "Fight for Your Right to Party" guy is a hypocrite. Well, maybe; but in this fucked up world all you can hope for is change, and I'd rather be a hypocrite to you than a zombie forever.
-Adam Horovitz

Old 05-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Grand Master OG Member

My gosh he looks like fidel castro.... Those pictures make me sad...

what I havent said but is true is that my dad beat colon cancer a few years back and is doing great so I really thought that when MCA was announced he had cancer he would would be fine....

STILL PRAYIN' FOR YAUCH

Last edited by DJ_Skrilla : 05-16-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Here is the first article about Yauch's condition.....

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/news/200...y-gland-cancer

and another......
http://www.everydayhealth.com/blog/z...ch-has-cancer/

If you watch early Hot Sauce promo videos there are a few where he is looking extremely tired and a couple where he isn't even there and it's just Mike and Adam. This was around the time when he was starting to feel the effects of it all. breaks my heart.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Mike D is a legend.

Just realized that there were not one, but two FFYRR premiere parties in LA: one on May 2, 2011, at the Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, and one on May 3, 2011, in West Hollywood at the Soho House. And all three of the guys were there, on both nights. Again, there's photos of both nights on Flickr. The link to the photo I previously posted was from the first night. So, I guess the last time all three were together in public was May 3, 2011, almost exactly one year to the day of Yauch's death. Sigh.

-Adam Horovitz

Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Juice View Post
I second this

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Thank you all. This is really a wonderful community.

Seeing that last picture of them together in LA in May 2011 actually made me happy and gives me an odd sense of some partial closure to see them together.

Cancer sucks. In the past 12 months, two great creators in our society have succumbed to rare forms of cancer. First Steve Jobs to an ultra-rare form of pancreatic neuro-endocrine tumor (1 in a million in many ways) and now Yauch.

Here is my wild-ass theory - and as a doctor, I post this as pure and total conjecture. The parotid gland produces saliva. If you think about filmed interviews and performances with Yauch over the years, i can think of just a few where he wasn't chewing gum

OK - so here is the conjecture - gum chewing stimulates saliva production and it takes just one epithelial cell in the parotid to grow out of control after repeated stimulation and become cancerous.

Needless to say, I have been calling old medschool professors I know who specialize in head and neck cancer to see if anyone has done work in this area. As a I guy who went to medical school at the same hospital where Yauch was treated at the end of his life, I am hoping to find some old friends and experts who can help shed light on what causes this horrible form of cancer. Probably off-topic for this forum!

Anyway - the bottom line is that I choose to remember Yauch's image both when he was healthy and when he was ill which is why I posted in the first place. That creative mind never stopped thinking and I bet he was vital till the very end.

The Bard shots that were posted were great as well. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Welcome, and don't apologise.

While it's a little morbid, I too have been trying to piece it together in my head. So far a number of posters have claimed that certain shots are all from March 2011.

I always thought the Spike Jonze photo was in May 2011, and the Rashida group shot with the cowboy hat (Michelle Williams is in one?) came after that one; both being after the release of HSC2?

And so the Jackass premier may have been around the time the final edits for FFYRR were done and the album was about to launch.

The difference between these two periods is startling, and yeah in hindsight point to some heavy, troubling shit.

So sad, to think of what he must have gone through. And by all accounts he faced it bravely and with hope.

Last edited by sternmd : 05-16-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:22 PM

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/cid...003074-pdf.pdf

Cell phones: One recent study suggested an increased risk of parotid gland tumors in heavy cell phone users. In this study, most of the tumors seen were benign (not cancer). Other studies looking at this issue have not found such a link. Research is still being done in this area. If there is any excess risk, it could be decreased by using corded or cordless earpieces that move the phone away from the user's head and decrease the amount of radiation that reaches the body.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:30 AM

Quote:

Rest in Power MCA
What are we looking for here? Evidence of a radical neck dissection? The shit he had was probably some anaplastic killer shit and if it was anaplastic, we're lucky to have had him for 3 years after his diagnosis.

being a thyroid cancer survivor, all I can say is fuck cancer.

MCA is a beautiful soul and he will always be with us. Peace to MCA.

Viva les Beastie!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:07 AM

Donna Summer dead of cancer this week and reports that she blamed 9/11 toxic dust for her cancer. (She was in her Manhattan apartment when it happened.)
Was Adam in NYC during 9/11? I found this article about high cancer rates among people who were close to the disaster.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...de-Center.html
Old 05-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasaApso View Post
Donna Summer dead of cancer this week and reports that she blamed 9/11 toxic dust for her cancer. (She was in her Manhattan apartment when it happened.)
Was Adam in NYC during 9/11? I found this article about high cancer rates among people who were close to the disaster.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...de-Center.html
I saw Donna Summer in concert a few years back in Belgium. I was traveling with some friends and we went to the Night of the Proms, got front row. She was amazing. Never knew she was battling cancer so I was shocked when I heard the news. I think a lot of people didn't know that about Yauch or how sick he was either.

Who knows how long Adam was carrying those cancerous cells. As others have mentioned I just wish he had something to go to the doctor for.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:52 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

I wonder/worry he had the tumor growing during The Gala Event shows. And if not that, he could have had it while promoting Gunnin' For That #1 Spot.

I'm just going by personal experience. My Mother was feeling weak and out of it for about a year before she was diagnosed with cancer.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Oh Word?

I just watched their appearance on Jimmy Fallon in May 2009 that someone posted on here earlier in another thread. As I watched it, I wonder if he knew he had it then? He did not move around at all during the performance and seemed totally out of it.
Old 05-18-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post
I wonder/worry he had the tumor growing during The Gala Event shows.
I wondered that myself. He did not move around that much. Mostly stayed still. Did not really smile either. Mostly had his game face on.