Old 07-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Monkey News

Default Re: biking

I want a 29er. when I got a new bike in 2011 I didn't even know 29ers were a thing yet. they were still new. had I known about them then I definitely would have gotten one. they're suppose to be so much smoother and better with the rough stuff.

in the last few years there's been a lot of changes with the standards that tend not to change very often.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:15 PM

The path I just rode was a little "rooty". I really liked how the suspension handled them.
I'm happy with the bike.

I'd like to outfit the bike with a wireless computer and an emergency kit saddle bag soon.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Monkey News

I keep all my emergency stuff in my camel back(small backpack that can hold water). tubes, a small tire pump, a pump for my shocks(I have air shocks) and various essential tools. everything I need fits in this small backpack. holds two liters of water as well. very much worth the prices they can be.

you can get a decent WIRED cyclo-computer for like 20 bucks. If you wanna go all out you can get gps computers that are fucking awesome. Garmin has a few models. I have one and I love it. they're really pricey new but I got mine used off of ebay.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:42 PM
just here for the .gifs

I fell two times in the past 3 weeks after riding incident-free for a few years. The first was just a dumb topple over because the person ahead of me was too slow and I lost my balance going up a small incline, ended up with nasty bruises, but overall was fine. Yesterday I caught my back wheel in a groove between pavement and a railroad track and got whipped to the ground. I cracked my helmet in a few places, got a lump on my head and a scrape near my temple. Minor bruising otherwise. If I hadn't have been wearing a helmet, I probably would've been knocked out or worse, strange to think about. I rode 5 miles back home and took it easy. Today I feel like I got whiplash, and my hearing and sight are really sensitive. I don't think I'm concussed, but I definitely jostled my brain.

I'll go back out soon enough, but I'm thinking maybe I should get thicker tires because I'm not racing, I'm on very bumpy shitty streets. And also I will not try to hop over rails parallel to my direction. And always wear a helmet! I'd been tempting fate a few times without one lately, it's like the universe was like "fuck you!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Monkey News

trying to cross a ridge parallel to your tires can be very tricky sometimes! you don't even realize it then all of a sudden your back wheel gets kicked out from underneath you. for whatever reason the small towns around here all have these weird curbside drainage grates that are different than any others I've seen. the grating is just wide enough and long enough for your tires to slip right in and get wedge. road bike wheels would probably just slip right in.

I've never worn a helmet. it get this strange sweat rash and then my hair falls out. just get some on road mountain bike tires if your rims are wide enough for them.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:23 PM

Got Bontrager bike computers installed this weekend. I'm not thrilled w them. May need to upgrade to a Garmin in the near future. Also got a new gel saddle for my fat ass. Soo much better than the old stiff saddle that came w the bike.
I've been tackling some of the trails in the 10k acre state park behind my house. I usually get out everyday around 9am for about an hour before the weather starts getting hot.
There's an endless amount of trails to ride in this park.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:43 PM
Monkey News

insanely jealous of having a state park in your backyard. you don't even know.