Old 02-10-2019, 06:43 AM

Default Re: Similar music style recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
EPMD’s first 5 albums is a great place to start if you haven’t gotten into them previously. classic albums.
I never liked their beats but l always liked their voices and that track with LL COOL J "rampage" was very good though

"I don't wanna go to a health farm,I just wanna have a good time"

Last edited by pesto pizza : 02-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:36 AM
Current Member

Cherry pick stuff, man. There’s a lot to digest if you try to get into entire discographies. EPMD is a great call, though. Nice little Beastie nods in tracks like Let The Funk Flow and Da Joint. There are Beastie nods throughout the Def Squad canon, too, but you would do them a disservice to only check for them because of some nods.

That’s sort of the real challenge, though. I don’t know that there are many bands ‘similar’ (and to be fair, when people say such about things like 311 you can see that first hand). Similar could be a self actualised band persona more than stylistic, though.

I mean Tribe, De La (I absolutely adore their most recent album) all the other super obvious choices, but I think it’s also cool to consider groups the Beastie Boys liked, as much as groups which may be similar. I bump a shit ton of Bossa Nova on Spotify, basically solely because of the Beastie Boys. It’s made my home a very pleasant place to be.

Drawing a longer bow, Stepfather by People Under the Stairs was in that studio photo of the Boys. I took that as a lead at one point in time.

To a similar end, Mike D was with RR during the recording of 99 problems; there’s an incredible remix of the Black album getting around to commemorate the 15th anniversary which everybody must check out. Horovitz banged on about Os Mutantes in the book, and that’s definitely worth checking out. Yauch played a little with Cro-Mags. Try that?

I personally have been quite enjoying Mac Demarco; he has the whole Lo-fi DIY thing going on. Very chill. People always talked about Edan being in the Beastie Boys wheelhouse back in 05 or whenever, maybe look into that?

As cautious as I am about you looking for ‘similar’ groups, I’m fully aware that I’m doing a terrible job with alternatives. Beastie Boys’ lane is far too unique, though, man. The most recent ATCQ album? Oh, Jungle Bothers?

A real practical tip for me has been following their peers and associates on Insta. Ricky Powell, Mario C etc they all post some shit which leads down interesting musical paths. Hurra sorta does, too. You might like his style more.

Good luck!

EDIT: McDuff dropped the recommendation for ESG the other month; very Mix-Up vibes from them. I love that shit.

EDIT EDIT: I finally realised a dream and caught the Avalanches live. It reminded me a lot of the Beastie Boys. Basically just crate-digging music-heads with a flair for the unusual. If you can find a version of their debut which isn’t gimped by sample clearances, try that. Wildflower was my shit, too.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 02-10-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: My fingers are too fat for phone posting
Old 02-10-2019, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
I never liked their beats
haha ok bro. there’s nothing i can do for you then. good luck. smh
Old 02-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Thanks everyone so far, l will try some of those on you tube.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:30 AM
Current Member

You mentioned Cypress Hill. I’m not as emphatic in their similarity to the B-Boys, they stagnated a bit. Elephants on Acid I’ll assume you’re across however Muggs has always been the real talent of the group. His album with Meyhem Lauren is incredible. His most recent Soul Assassins wasn’t bad, either.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:40 AM
Current Member

Also the ‘Other Music’ forum on these boards in an implausibly overlooked resource (although post 2012 not much happened there, I guess). If something gets more than 15 replies, maybe look into it.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
You mentioned Cypress Hill. I’m not as emphatic in their similarity to the B-Boys, they stagnated a bit. Elephants on Acid I’ll assume you’re across however Muggs has always been the real talent of the group. His album with Meyhem Lauren is incredible. His most recent Soul Assassins wasn’t bad, either.
muggs has been on a tear lately. the two meyhem projects and the roc marci project were all equally great.

Last edited by Micodin : 02-10-2019 at 09:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Just listened to Meyhem Lauren very good stuff, l assumed hip hop music was just chart friendly these days whereas this stuff reminded me of 1988 stuff.Good recommendation.cheers

Old 02-10-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto pizza View Post
l assumed hip hop music was just chart friendly these days
its starting to become more and more clear to me nowadays that 97% of beastie boys fans or the people on this message board didn’t grow up listening to hip hop or abandoned it after 1989.

it’s aslo clear to me that when people ask for music suggestions that’s sounds like the beasties they are really asking for other white rappers suggestions but don’t want to come off as a racist.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:19 AM
Current Member

Quote:
its starting to become more and more clear to me nowadays that 97% of beastie boys fans or the people on this message board didn’t grow up listening to hip hop or abandoned it after 1989.

it’s aslo clear to me that when people ask for music suggestions that’s sounds like the beasties they are really asking for other white rappers suggestions but don’t want to come off as a racist.
Can you elaborate? Because I’m not sure of the relevance. Honest question.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:

I abandoned hip hop about 1999 and from 1987 was only into hip hop, but still purchase all ATCQ , de la soul, Black sheep and cypress hill new releases.
I don't like white rappers at all, to me eminem is awful.
I have'nt a clue why you have read what you have read into my comments, mind you l am aware people are always looking for arguements online these days