Old 05-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Battletoad

Default Re: The Dark Knight Rises

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPsyz View Post
I think Bane is and was a horrible choice, but he's also tried to make it clear that this is the end of his batman tale. So bringing in the character that broke batman makes sense.

I was surprised he didn't go with Victor Zsasz, maybe even someone like Black Mask considering the events towards the end of the last movie.

Oh well.
Zsasz was in Batman Begins, he just didn't have any lines or play any kind of role.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Days of future past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToucanSpam View Post
Zsasz was in Batman Begins, he just didn't have any lines or play any kind of role.
I know, which is why it would of made sense to bring him back now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
My favorite part of the thread is all of it.

Old 05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Battletoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPsyz View Post
I know, which is why it would of made sense to bring him back now.
I agree, I think it would have been a nice call back to the first movie....but whatever, I trust Nolan knows what he's doing. Bane is a good and bad choice for a Batman villain, but with Heath dying in post-production of TDK, they couldn't dip back in to the Joker pool. Hush would have been a great choice, but I don't think you can wrap that story up in one movie. Maybe in three...
Old 05-29-2012, 08:39 PM
just here for the .gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJIM View Post
I had a Micheal Keaton Batman poster on my wall when the movie came out. I was old enough to realize how big that movie was when it came out, but it really hasn't aged well now that I've dipped my toes in other peoples take on Batman. Burton's take is weak sauce compared to it.
Movies and movie history is kinda my thing, so please don't talk down to me because I'm younger than you. Youth has nothing to do with knowledge.
I'm not talking down to you, I'm saying you're too young to understand how the movie was groundbreaking. Your brain was not developed enough when the movie came out to process it. So you went back and watched it with contemporary knowledge having missed its original impact.

Youth has a lot to do with knowledge, saying it doesn't is just odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:07 AM
I'm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
I'm not talking down to you, I'm saying you're too young to understand how the movie was groundbreaking. Your brain was not developed enough when the movie came out to process it. So you went back and watched it with contemporary knowledge having missed its original impact.

Youth has a lot to do with knowledge, saying it doesn't is just odd.
Yeah, but I can still read people's accounts and what was recorded historically about how and why it was an important and still understand its importance.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:36 AM

I'm so old that I saw Batman with Michael Keaton in the theater and I didn't think it was anything special. I saw it on opening day and I thought it was a successful big summer film. Batman was probably the tipping point, where I ceased wanting to see movies Jack Nicholson was in. He had been such a great actor in his earlier years but by the late 80s I couldn't stand him anymore. And Kim Basinger was blech. I was surprised at how much I liked the Christian Bale movies later on. But they have such strong supporting casts as well. Anything with Gary Oldman is okay by me.

I remember 1989 as being a great year for independent film. There were many interesting movies and you could finally find them in theaters. 1989 had so much to choose from, I don't think Batman would have made my top 20. I think that's the year I saw my first Mike Leigh movie, my first Steven Soderbergh movie, my first Spike Lee movie. But if you were a kid, I'll bet Batman was a landmark movie for you personally.

[I used to love inside movies gossip back then and there were a lot of stories about the Batman (1989) producers. They got a lot of press. I think they hoodwinked Sony into letting them run the studio because of Batman's success. You could probably argue that the success of that film hurt movies in general. ]
Old 05-30-2012, 06:39 AM

I was just looking at movies released in 1989 and it seems that the third Indy movie came out then too. That's another movie that people love but I didn't like. Also Dead Poet's Society. It makes a lot more sense to me now that I see the other movies that were out that year, given all the indies and foreign films that got wide release. But I even saw the bad movies in theaters that year. I apparently went to a shit ton of movies back then.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:10 AM
I'm back.

1989 was a huge HUGE blockbuster summer.
Batman, License to Kill, Back to the Furture II, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II, Leathal Weapon II, Star Trek V.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:34 AM

The trailer for 1989's Batman was where it was at. That shit was revolutionary. No narrator, barely any dialogue, it built the hype to the opening like nothing else. I must've watched that trailer a hundred times on Movietime (later E!) that spring/summer.

Anyone else lucky enough to catch the prologue to Dark Knight Rises over the winter (with MI:4)? Best six minutes I spent in a movie theater all year.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 05-30-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJIM View Post
1989 was a huge HUGE blockbuster summer.
Batman, License to Kill, Back to the Furture II, Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Ghostbusters II, Leathal Weapon II, Star Trek V.

I believe 1989 was also the year of Do the Right Thing, Drugstore Cowboy, Sex Lies and Videotape, High Hopes, My Left Foot, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Say Anything. and I'll even throw in Little Mermaid. And those are movies I'd consider watching again.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:24 AM
I'm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Documad View Post
I believe 1989 was also the year of Do the Right Thing, Drugstore Cowboy, Sex Lies and Videotape, High Hopes, My Left Foot, Crimes and Misdemeanors, Say Anything. and I'll even throw in Little Mermaid. And those are movies I'd consider watching again.

I was focusing on the ones that came out in the "summer" months, but yeah, 1989 was crazy big for movies all year.