Old 05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default NYC Beastie Adventure

I mapped out this little half day adventure for Lower Manhattan/East Village/ LES/Brooklyn for any adventurers out there who are in NYC and looking to soak up some Beastie Boys history. I'm headed out there this weekend for a wedding in Brooklyn and I have reserved Sunday morning for my mecca.

"I'll be glad if it helps anyone else out too."

these are the spots that I am interested in, but if you have questions about any other locations, feel free to ask.

Part 1 of the trip: Lower Manhattan
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=51...4,5&t=m& z=16

Oscilloscope Laboratories to 59 Chrystie St.- TriBeCa and Chinatown
"sell our CD's on Canal, before we make 'em..."
walking East on Canal and North on Chrystie

59 Chrystie St. to 171 Avenue A. past two East Village Murals
"I live in the Village, wherever I go I walk to..."
continue on Chrystie walking North until it becomes 2nd Avenue.
the first mural by Danielle Mastrion is on East 1st st. visible from 2nd Ave.
it's the one on the side of the trailer of the Beastie Boys as part of the Centre Fuge art project
continue up 2nd Ave. and walk East on 7th Street towards 1st Ave. to see the next mural- the one of MCA by Cram Concepts.

go to 1st ave and head north 1 block. take St. Mark's Place East through the heart of East Village towards Ave A and Tompkins Square Park
(sidenote- 96 St. Marks place is the building location for the Led Zeppelin Physical Graffiti album cover)

When you get to Avenue A, head North to between 10th and 11th Streets, home to 171A Studios (now BAD Burger), site of Beastie Boys first EP Pollywog Stew.

I recommend Nino's Pizza on St. Marks and Avenue A. as well as people watching in Tompkins Square Park. I'm sure the Beastie Boys spent plenty of their days doing the same thing.

Ave A to Ludlow and Rivington
"Raised on the LES, Manhattan Island..."
head South on Avenue A and walk one block West on Houston St. and turn left heading South on Ludlow. Rivington should be two blocks down.
soak that shit in and head down to Delancey St. and turn left facing East until you see the Delancey Street subway station(F Train)

Part 2 of the trip: Underground, underneath the skyscrapes
http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=40...m&z=15&start=0

Delancey Street to Avenue P Brooklyn
"Head for the last car, fluorescent light blackout..."

Take the F Train (Orange) Brooklyn Bound (Coney Island-Stillwell) to Ave P station to see two rooftop murals. The most recent one just went up by an unnamed artist and is visible between the (closed) Smith/9th Station and 4th Ave station. unfortunately I don't know which side it's on so you might have to keep your eyes peeled and double back if necessary.
"hide your eyes, wait, I saw you lookin', my name's MCA made in Downtown Brooklyn..."

continue on the Coney Island bound F Train until the Avenue P station in Midwood. the MCA Gratitude mural by Entree Lifestyle is on Avenue P and 2nd Ave, on the rooftop. you should be able to see it from the subway station stairs or platform.
"elevated platform, never gonna conform..."

that's where my adventure will end, unless I'm felling up for a walk through Midwood to Adam's high school "Edward R. Murrow out on Avenue L"

you could also find your way back up through Brooklyn to the Albee Square Mall and end up at the High Street Station if you are really up for it. those routes will take a lot of transfers but it's all doable in a half day tops...

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 05-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

Default Re: NYC Beastie Adventure

Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this. I imagine this will help us out with our tour in August.

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 05-24-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
Nice!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you for this. I imagine this will help us out with our tour in August.
Wurd.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Unregistered User

Excellent. Just hope I can get back to NY one day to do it too

"my name is MCA and I still do what I please"

"For the rest of my lifetimes and even beyond, I vow to do my best to do no harm"

Old 05-24-2012, 01:06 PM
In a Bowl of Hot Sauce

I may have to print this off as I am heading to the City myself this weekend and planned on hitting some Beastie spots. Thanks so much for mapping the murals because I wanted to see a few.

I definitely plan on hitting Edward R. Murrow High while I'm in Brooklyn when my man and I head towards Coney Island.

I have a question for anyone who can answer....did the Boys film their "Alive" video in Brooklyn Bridge Park because I was planning on going there too.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:15 PM
In a Bowl of Hot Sauce

Oh and on St. Mark's isn't that where Stromboli's is from that photo from '86?
Old 06-19-2012, 10:55 PM
on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I mapped out this little half day adventure for Lower Manhattan/East Village/ LES/Brooklyn for any adventurers out there who are in NYC and looking to soak up some Beastie Boys history...

that's where my adventure will end, unless I'm felling up for a walk through Midwood to Adam's high school "Edward R. Murrow out on Avenue L"

you could also find your way back up through Brooklyn to the Albee Square Mall and end up at the High Street Station if you are really up for it. those routes will take a lot of transfers but it's all doable in a half day tops...
YRemy, thanks again for setting this up and sharing the link with this board newbie.

My weekend in New York C was amazing! Too fast, but I knew it would be. Made it out to see the Gratitude mural from the P train platform, also got to see the Cram Concepts mural at 89 W 7th Street in the Village. Got great photos that I want to put online, especially google earth to help out others that'll be looking in future.

For those that don't know, the mural on West 7th is painted on a freezer door, grocery next to it; while we were there a grocery worker opened the door and walked inside, another guy about 10 yards east kept poppin his head up out of the sidewalk cellar door, wondering what we were doin' — i hope that as BBoy fan traffic picks up there it can stay welcoming —

Don't know the latest on the A Yauch skate park initiative; I'm sure those things take time though.

there's something coming to the surface // there's fire all around.. some day.. we shall..

Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 PM
on the grid

PS though i didn't get to make it over there, i found out that Rivington and Ludlow, where the Paul's Boutique cover photo was taken, is less than a block away from TeaNY Cafe, owned by Moby.

there's something coming to the surface // there's fire all around.. some day.. we shall..