Old 11-18-2019, 12:05 PM

Default Mastering on 2019 Reissues?

I've asked this elsewhere, but it might have gotten buried. But has anyone been able to tell what "version" of the albums were used for the 2019 reissues? I don't have a great ear to detect these things, but from my perspective it sounds like:

Ill Communication: 2009 remaster
Paul's Boutique: 2009 remaster
To the 5 Boroughs: original pressing
Root Down: ???

The Root Down EP had never been previously reissued, but to me it sounds more or less the same, so maybe the Root Down LP version on that EP is still the non-remastered version?

Also, any audiophiles able to pick up on changes to the Paul's Boutique album now that it's been split onto 2 discs for the first time since '98?
Old 11-20-2019, 05:52 AM

Arrow Re: Mastering on 2019 Reissues?

I didn't get the reissues but if you have a decent record player and speakers/headphones you should be able to do an A/B listening comparison. Paul's Boutique should be the easiest one to discern. If you want to get scientific and have a way to record the audio to your computer you can record a track from each issue and compare the wave forms.

The two disc Paul's Boutique should sound louder and the bass frequencies should be better due to being spread out over more space on the wax. As long as you're not using a Crosley record player with a garbage needle and junky speakers you should be able to pretty easily tell the difference.

Thinking about this now, I might need to pick up that Paul's Boutique. This may be the first time the remaster has appeared as a two-LP set, no?
Old 11-20-2019, 06:38 AM

Default Re: Mastering on 2019 Reissues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
Thinking about this now, I might need to pick up that Paul's Boutique. This may be the first time the remaster has appeared as a two-LP set, no?
That's correct. It was marketed incorrectly as the first time the album had been split onto two discs, but in reality that happened in 1998. This is the first time thr remaster has been split too 2 discs. Those 1998 reissues are now kind of lacking unless you just want to collect everything.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:00 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
That's correct. It was marketed incorrectly as the first time the album had been split onto two discs, but in reality that happened in 1998. This is the first time thr remaster has been split too 2 discs. Those 1998 reissues are now kind of lacking unless you just want to collect everything.
I have the 1998 2-LPGrand Royal Reissue, are you saying the 2009 reissue is better then? Might think about selling the 98 one and buying the 2009 remaster.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I have the 1998 2-LPGrand Royal Reissue, are you saying the 2009 reissue is better then? Might think about selling the 98 one and buying the 2009 remaster.
Well just to me, the remastering done on Paul's Boutique was more beneficial to the overall quality of the audio than for some of the other albums. I guess the older the album, the more archaic the recording quality, so the more to be improved through "new" (as of 2009) technology. I can definitely tell the difference between the 1989/1998 Paul's Boutique and the 2009 remaster.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't necessarily say the remaster is objectively "better". It does have a more modern quality to it. It's eqed and compressed so that it will sound clearer and louder across multiple listening devices of varying quality. I don't know how much work went into the remastering process but there is a noticeable difference between the original and the remaster. I've gotten so used to the original recording that I still like to listen to that as well. To my ears the remaster is a little sharp but not enough that it really bothers me. If I'm in the car and the music has to compete with road noise, etc. I like the remaster. If I'm at home with the nice record player I'm more into the original.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:45 AM

Finally got around to spinning the 2019 PB vinyl last night. I think it is great!

Super clear but loses none of the original's charm - i.e. the 'dirtier' sounding samples still sound that way. I'm not sure of any of the technical terms...but to me, the vocals sounds clearer - more separation is perhaps what I mean to say - and I picked up on the slight reverb on the vocals a lot more on certain songs. The separation between sounds in general is great, although that may partly be down to a new (but old) 90s Pioneer system I picked up second hand recently. I feel like very little gets lost in the mix, although I suppose that is maybe not the best thing for some people.

I didn't get the 2009 vinyl (just the CD) so I can't really compare, but for someone who has only ever had the 89 PB vinyl, it is a massive improvement. Bass is thumping but not overly so - aside from Hey Ladies where it seems to be completely absent (aside from the obvious Hey! Hey! Hey! Ladies break) - and you can hear so much without having to crank it up too high.

The best thing about any good remaster is that it can make you feel like you are listening to a song for the first time (or certainly with a different set of ears). High Plains Drifter...I don't know, it just seems to have real menace to it which I never really noticed before, both instrumentally and vocally. And A Year and A Day could almost be a different mix!

There were other things I meant to make notes of but overall I think it is worth every penny. I haven't been that intoxicated by PB in years. The 2009 CD is good but I feel it is somehow both sharper but flatter overall (I understand if this is making less and less sense as I ramble on). But I should probably play it on the Pioneer system to be sure.

Lastly, the packaging and vinyl itself is beautiful! Top work! IC will be next.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Last edited by dave790 : 11-22-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Finally got around to spinning the 2019 PB vinyl last night. I think it is great!

Super clear but loses none of the original's charm - i.e. the 'dirtier' sounding samples still sound that way. I'm not sure of any of the technical terms...but to me, the vocals sounds clearer - more separation is perhaps what I mean to say - and I picked up on the slight reverb on the vocals a lot more on certain songs. The separation between sounds in general is great, although that may partly be down to a new (but old) 90s Pioneer system I picked up second hand recently. I feel like very little gets lost in the mix, although I suppose that is maybe not the best thing for some people.

I didn't get the 2009 vinyl (just the CD) so I can't really compare, but for someone who has only ever had the 89 PB vinyl, it is a massive improvement. Bass is thumping but not overly so - aside from Hey Ladies where it seems to be completely absent (aside from the obvious Hey! Hey! Hey! Ladies break) - and you can hear so much without having to crank it up too high.

The best thing about any good remaster is that it can make you feel like you are listening to a song for the first time (or certainly with a different set of ears). High Plains Drifter...I don't know, it just seems to have real menace to it which I never really noticed before, both instrumentally and vocally. And A Year and A Day could almost be a different mix!

There were other things I meant to make notes of but overall I think it is worth every penny. I haven't been that intoxicated by PB in years. The 2009 CD is good but I feel it is somehow both sharper but flatter overall (I understand if this is making less and less sense as I ramble on). But I should probably play it on the Pioneer system to be sure.

Lastly, the packaging and vinyl itself is beautiful! Top work! IC will be next.
Nice review Dave! I don't think you're tripping out as far as what you're noticing. My experience with a lot of remasters and just plain old "vinyl vs. CD" is that the vinyl sounds better due to fact that they can't compress it quite as much as a digital file. The vinyl medium self-limits compression because if you over-compress I understand the vinyl will skip (potentially what happened with the Grasshopper Unit on Hello Nasty). In the digital medium, you can get away with more compression, which allows for higher relative "loudness" but also additional sharpness that can be fatiguing.

The other thing about vinyl is that you can get away with more compression if you have less audio on a side. So, these double-disc sets allow for not only higher sound quality, but also louder pressings. Overall, the compression on vinyl just sounds better to me than compression in the digital realm. I LOVE the LTI show vinyl because it's so damn thumping! When you put that on you can really imagine how it must have sounded on those big PA systems at shows. BASSSS!
Old 11-22-2019, 11:30 AM

Superb insight / knowledge and eloquently imparted

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 11-22-2019, 02:33 PM
Music est. 1986

Great reviews from everyone!

On the new 2019 PB reissue, I was eyeing the purple vinyl on the website here. Does the packaging come in the 8 panel gatefold?

On the LTI show vinyl note, the 12 inches from that era are always a great way to hear those songs.

Speaking of LTI and remasters does anyone have any notes on the LTI 30th anniversary reissue? Is it an improvement compared to the og?
Old 11-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Great reviews from everyone!

On the new 2019 PB reissue, I was eyeing the purple vinyl on the website here. Does the packaging come in the 8 panel gatefold?

On the LTI show vinyl note, the 12 inches from that era are always a great way to hear those songs.

Speaking of LTI and remasters does anyone have any notes on the LTI 30th anniversary reissue? Is it an improvement compared to the og?
The PB 2019 reissue is the 8-panel gatefold. It's also a very good quality sleeve and the images are crisp.

As for the LTI 30 year reissue, I don't believe this is remastered at all. The Beastie Boys store says that it was pressed from the original "production masters," which I think (given, I don't know much about sound reinforcement) just means that it was from the same tapes that they used to press the first run of the album.

As far as I know, nobody knows where the actual master reels are for LTI. I think they were lost in the Def Jam family somewhere. LTI has been released a few times over the years, and each time it seems to be the same version with no extra effort put into it. The 30th anniversary was on 180g vinyl though, so that probably helps with maintaining a good sound quality. My 1986 version sounds great, but it's got some serious rice krispies from years of play.
Old 11-24-2019, 01:20 PM
Music est. 1986

You guys have all been very helpful.
One last question.
The prices from order online plus the shipping are pretty steep.
Does anyone know if the purple vinyl is available at local stores or is it just through online?
Old 11-24-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
You guys have all been very helpful.
One last question.
The prices from order online plus the shipping are pretty steep.
Does anyone know if the purple vinyl is available at local stores or is it just through online?
They've gatta be available somewhere, but I live in Philly and haven't seen any of these reissues anywhere.