Quote:
Originally Posted by iLL kID
fuck prodigy and fuck parkey, biatchs

Knobhead

Brap!

Old 10-04-2004, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
The Beasties were in the wrong. don't talk as if this Parkey guys talkin shit. Reading Festival 98, Beasties asked Prodigy to drop Smack My Bitch Up from their set, and it developed from that (Prodigy said no)

The Beastie have apologised in print since then i believe, but they were in the wrong. as mr Howlett said 'i dont care who you are, no one tells me what i can and can't play'.

Beasties were one of his idols so he didn't take it too well. he's entitled to his opinion on the new album, but it means shit to me and is a shit opinion in my mind.
So thats why he has beef? What a fucking pussy. He isn't entitled to shit, hes just dissing the record because he has beef.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:37 PM

we did go to him in private and ask him if he wouldn't mind skipping that track in their set because it promoted violence against women.

basically he said that he felt that they were somehow subverting or changing the meaning of the words "smack my bitch up" in their song.

it doesn't sound like that to me.

anyway, they decided to take it to the stage, make it public. so during their set that night they said something like "the beastie boys told us not to play this song, but nobody tells us what to do..." and then played the song.

shortly after that a girl told me that she had been abused by her boyfriend and that song had always made her cringe. she thanked us for asking them not to play it.

so i have no regrets about it, and have never apologized to them. i think what we did was right. how is anyone going to know that their words are destructive if no one tells them?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:13 PM

I think I'm really good at reading between the lines and I don't see that song as anything but literal. Maybe they think they turned it on its head by making the video feature girl-on-girl violence, but I don't see that at all. I can take a joke but I draw the line at violence against women and children. Anyways, thanks for taking a stand and they only made you look good by telling the public about your private request.
Old 10-04-2004, 10:19 PM
MCF

As easy it was to tell black from white,
It was all that easy to tell wrong from right.

-"Bob Dylan's Dream", 1963

I'm going back to New York City
I do believe I've had enough

Old 10-04-2004, 10:51 PM
lover of canada

Right on Yauch! I got really mad when I started reading this thread and was about to school Dave790. But I think that Yauch's post cleared things up (they were not in the wrong)!

Having violent misogynist lyrics in a song, even if it is meant to be "tongue in cheek," is always going to be taken at face value by the majority of the public. This DOES promote violence in society!

I got a bedazzler , so my outfit's tight

Old 10-05-2004, 06:29 AM
Bucky Done Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauch
we did go to him in private and ask him if he wouldn't mind skipping that track in their set because it promoted violence against women.

basically he said that he felt that they were somehow subverting or changing the meaning of the words "smack my bitch up" in their song.

anyway, they decided to take it to the stage, make it public. so during their set that night they said something like "the beastie boys told us not to play this song, but nobody tells us what to do..." and then played the song.

shortly after that a girl told me that she had been abused by her boyfriend and that song had always made her cringe. she thanked us for asking them not to play it.

so i have no regrets about it, and have never apologized to them. i think what we did was right. how is anyone going to know that their words are destructive if no one tells them?
So is it the song itself or their justification of it that caused the problem?

Also, out of interest, if they hadn't mentioned it on stage would you have brought it?

Brap!

Old 10-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauch

right, there are jerks who take it seriously, and it's not cool to support that kind of shit. Beastie Boys were more than right.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Can't spell good.

Thumbs up Re: Ex-Prodigy disses Beastie Boys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yauch View Post

I remember reading about this ages ago. Nice to actually hear it from 'the horses mouth'. Prodigy is good shit, but I always loved that you guys don't shy away from making your opinions known. Something needed to be said. It's a good song (read: catchy) but the lyrics are still just...wrong.

Keep doing what you're doing Yauch.

PS: I got a full refund for my Oshega tickets (both nights). I was so sad to hear you couldn't make it, and my ride was bummed out and wouldn't drive me to Montreal. I hope your doing well man. That email this morning brought a huge smile to my face. You'll be fine man. Can't wait to hear the new album. I'll see you righteous dudes next time you're in Toronto.
Last year at the Hummingbird Centre was fucking dope (ACC was good too but Hummingbird fucking killed it). Thanks for convincing Adam and Mike to play those last few extra punk tracks at the end of the set dude.
You rock. I'll never forget that show.
Stay classy. Kick cancers ass. Peace

Mix Master Mike can scratch better than the most of us can walk.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
I do believe we're naked!

I didn't read all the post and I don't want to take a side. I just looked up the line "smack my bitch up" in the world's best online-dictionary and found this article about it:
"It is a phrase from the greater london area and can be read only as a whole. The single words mean:
smack = to inject heroin
bitch = the upper arm vein"
I am really not sure if the Prodigy really meant that. And I hated the video straight away, because I hate videos with puking people and I never really likes the Prodigy anyway. But I like the song.

Good day
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM
Bill Me

Hey, Bob.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echewta View Post
Bob is laying pipe. Thats about it.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:37 AM
three steps ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundScientist View Post

PS: I got a full refund for my Oshega tickets (both nights). I was so sad to hear you couldn't make it, and my ride was bummed out and wouldn't drive me to Montreal. I hope your doing well man. That email this morning brought a huge smile to my face. You'll be fine man. Can't wait to hear the new album. I'll see you righteous dudes next time you're in Toronto.
Last year at the Hummingbird Centre was fucking dope (ACC was good too but Hummingbird fucking killed it). Thanks for convincing Adam and Mike to play those last few extra punk tracks at the end of the set dude.
You rock. I'll never forget that show.
Stay classy. Kick cancers ass. Peace
STFU! this is a thread about dissin' and smackin' bitches up. Take that crap to MCA's cancer thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipDipDive View Post
You haven't lived until you've been pounded up against a flaming trash can.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:25 AM
The blurst of times.

It's Kool Keith we should be getting angry with here.

some noise what I made