Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 AM

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Yet another great story from a friend of a friend:

http://www.retrocrush.com/index.php/2012/05/r-i-p-mca/

I still feel awful BTW. Condolences to Mike and Adam.

"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:12 AM

Unhappy Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

I miss MCA, not that I knew him personally, but it's sad knowing he's not there anymore. It's always nice seeing people age gracefully. Adam was settling into a groove. In addition to different types of music, he also had a passion for film and video. He was able to get O-scope off the ground, he directed a film and helped get other interesting films distributed. He was just hitting his stride with it. How unfortunate this timing is.

He showed us how people can constantly better themselves in life. He got increasingly responsible with his lyrics, he gave us words of wisdom, he smashed his gun and supported non-violence, he spoke out against racial-profiling after 9-11, he was out-spoken against our pointless wars in the Middle East...there was so much more he had to accomplish. Life isn't fair sometimes, but I'm happy that he's being remembered for all of the right reasons.

In addition to listening to his music countless times from growing up to the present, I used to read their lyrics and really listen in to his interviews. There was so much to get out of this man, whether it was about religion and spirituality or just some funny jokes. I miss you Adam.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM

Been on and off this board since 98-99 with two different usernames but haven't been checking the board this heavily over the past couple of days in about a decade.

This has been a hard time but it's great to see all of the camaradarie here. There are usernames that I have been seeing for close to 15 years and it's a trip. Thanks everyone for helping me through this tough time. As soon as I heard the news I rushed to the board to be with you guys.

MCA is going to be missed dearly. The world is a crappier place without him.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:02 AM
Music est. 1986

Having lost two uncles and an aunt to cancer I have been down this road before. And if there is one positive that you can try to take away from the pain and suffering that is cancer, it is that you sometimes get a chance to say goodbye. A lot of people in this world leave suddenly without warning. They don’t get a chance to say goodbye to their loved ones. They don’t get a chance to make amends. They just leave unexpectedly and then the eulogies come later.
I hope that Adam got a chance to say goodbye and spend some quality time with his friends and family before leaving this world. I hope that he was able to receive all the love and respect that he is getting now. I hope that he knew how much of an impact he made on all of our lives.
I want to thank Sarah for starting the Power To MCA project. This was a chance to send positive vibes out to MCA and show him how much we all cared. I really hope that he got a chance to view the photos and stories. What I expressed through the Power to MCA project is the same feelings I want to express now. Thanks Adam and the group for helping me become the person I am today, thanks for expanding my musical knowledge, thanks for getting me through tough times, thanks for inspiring and teaching, thanks for being the soundtrack of my life. I could go on and on but I just want to say thanks. It’s called Gratitude.
Like most of you, I am completely gutted. On Friday night after work I walked around downtown for a couple of hours. It was nice hearing beasties being blasted from the record stores, radio stations and apartment windows. This past weekend it felt like the whole world was mourning Adam and paying tribute to the band at the same time.
Since he has passed I have been on the message board constantly. I must have read 100 different tributes and stories. I can relate to almost all them in some sort of way. Here is one of the many that I really liked:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/hollyw...auch-1964-2012

This situation is tough. It’s tough that Adam is gone. But if I could pick one positive about this terrible situation, it’s that the world is celebrating the life of a great man. The sentiments of Adam’s life have been consistently positive and heartwarming. I have never been more proud to be a beastie boys fan. I have never been more proud to be a fan of Adam Yauch.
Rest In Peace Adam. I hope you continue to read the boards from the sky while your flying above. My thoughts go out to your family and friends.
-Mike
Old 05-08-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nypb View Post
Yet another great story from a friend of a friend:

http://www.retrocrush.com/index.php/2012/05/r-i-p-mca/

I still feel awful BTW. Condolences to Mike and Adam.
Too funny! Real cool of Yauch.

Last edited by JasonP : 05-08-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
this is funny shit ... another great example of mca/beasties not taking themselves too seriously!

" Elevated platform never gonna conform "

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...&content=music

Old 05-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Yeah really great story.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Gettin' Paid

An inspirational force and straight up hero to so many of us. RIP MCA
Old 05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
One Fly Gemini

I take solace in the fact that he's somewhere trading bars with Guru, rhyming over some Jam Master Jay breaks, probably hanging out with NYHC dudes Raybeez, Dave Insurgent, Chuck Valle, Dave/Donna Ratcage, and Chuck Valle. Catching up with Sean Carasov aka The Captain and watching over Adrock with Dave Scilken.

R.I.P. Adam Yauch

"Your body is here, but you're not"-108

"We're the Beastie Boys from New York City, this song is dedicated to Macy" - Adrock introducing "Gratitude" at Virgin Festival.

Macy (Jan 3, 2000 - Aug 3, 2007)

http://www.facebook.com/daveblev

Old 05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Toe tapper/hand clapper

This interview was posted on twitter and I listened to it and actually smiled and laughed, instead of tearing up like I have been since around noon on Friday. The interview has been posted before on the board --it's MCA, air date June 29, 2008, with Pete Rosenberg and Juan Epstein in NYC. Man, MCA is so cool, patient and down-to-earth here. Some of the early questions are a bit lame but Yauch opens up and it just made me feel great to hear this. I hope it can make others feel the same way. They do call Yauch a legend at the beginning and shit, they were right.

http://www.sharebeast.com/07tzy0jq4we0
Old 05-08-2012, 10:47 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Everybody google pwr2mca and look at the endless pages

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:08 PM

This seems like a good place as any to say what I want to say.

I was speaking to my brother over the weekend about how I thought it was sort of bizarre that co-workers and friends were expressing their condolences to me about MCA passing like he was a close friend or a family member. He said in a way, he was. I was listening to them, as he put it, "since I was a little shit."

MCA and the Boys were about the only constant in my life for 25 years.

My brothers and I started listening to them together starting with the Cooky Puss EP. Of course, my older bros (10+ years) were the ones more into it than I was. I was 4 or 5. As new material came out, my brothers bought it and listened to it. Since I was around them so much, I heard a lot of LTL and PB growing up.

Their music still stuck with me. I grew up with them. For more than 25 years, I have been listening to them through good times and bad and it is weird to think that it is over. No more new material with current pop culture reference, no more live shows, no more wacky music videos, no more new singles to listen to all summer. A small part of who I am passed as well on May 4th.

To be truthful, thinking back on the last live show of their's I attended, it could not have been better "final" show. It was in a smaller venue than I had ever seen them before (Detroit's State Theater). My loving wife was there with me, though she was not entirely sure why I convinced her to go because, let's just say they aren't/weren't her favorite band. The show was as a Gala Event show. I made my wife dress up. She thought I was a little crazy making her dress up with me because she wasn't entirely sure anyone else was going to do it. We were going to rap show, so she thought. Out of the 3 or 4 thousand people there, there wasn't a single person who didn't dress up. With everyone there treating the event as equally special as me, it changed the entire vibe. It was much more low key but a very positive environment to be in. And in that time, my wife understood why I liked them so much. It brought us that much closer. She understood something that was a part of me and she probably never would have any other way.

I will always be thankful for that and everything they helped me though.

Rest in Peace, MCA.

You will be missed more than you will ever know.