Old 01-07-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Paul's Boutique 8x7" Box Set

Anyone know anything about these? I just heard about them but have not seen any info on them at all. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:16 AM

Default Re: Paul's Boutique 8x7" Box Set

ended up finding some info thru the beastiemania link in the thread about collector's on here...found it on amazon offered by a reputable seller (0 negative feedback out of ~2100 transactions in 12mo).

they still have a few if anyone else wants one...
http://www.amazon.com/Beastie-Boys-P...6003157&sr=8-4

i applied for the amazon card just for the $40 free credit to make it cheaper and it is eligible for free shipping since its over $25...enjoy if you jump on it.
Old 01-08-2012, 11:11 AM
give me head till im dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by blmelon View Post
ended up finding some info thru the beastiemania link in the thread about collector's on here...found it on amazon offered by a reputable seller (0 negative feedback out of ~2100 transactions in 12mo).

they still have a few if anyone else wants one...
http://www.amazon.com/Beastie-Boys-P...6003157&sr=8-4

i applied for the amazon card just for the $40 free credit to make it cheaper and it is eligible for free shipping since its over $25...enjoy if you jump on it.

thats pretty cool. id like it but idk its expensive, dont have tons of disposable cash at the moment.

im curious too about the amazon card, my parents just got a kindle, it would work good for that. how do you get that?
Old 01-08-2012, 12:09 PM
crazy sniffable

says it's on the paragon label. is this sanctioned by the bboys or capitol? is it an "official" release? the colored 7-inches of the demos is pretty sweet. if it's not "official", does it even count as a collector's item? i don't know the rules.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 01-08-2012, 05:00 PM

i really don't think its official, but its sweet nonetheless...if just for the 20 unreleased versions of PB tracks that I don't have. maybe it never ends up being worth anything, but there are only 1000 out there. i figure it will stay in my collection until i'm gone and someone else liquidates it anyway.

i have a couple other bootlegs in my 12"s - Country Mike and Shadrach, but I bought them for the tunes too so no big deal.

completely understand the low funds aspect, doubt i woulda jumped on this w/o the $40 credit...just gonna use the card a couple times, pay it off and cut it up anyway. that way it helps my credit too.
Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
says it's on the paragon label. is this sanctioned by the bboys or capitol? is it an "official" release? the colored 7-inches of the demos is pretty sweet. if it's not "official", does it even count as a collector's item? i don't know the rules.

It is not a sanctioned release. It's a bootleg. As far as whether or not it's a collectors item, it depends on the collector. There aren't any rules, really, aside from the ones you set for yourself. I never intended to collect bootlegs, I just kind of accumulated them over the years. I would consider it a collectors item because it is a limited pressing, it comes on colored vinyl, and 20 of the 21 tracks have never been pressed on vinyl before (that I can find). I haven't seen a (Beastie Boys) boot, that has come anywhere close to this one in terms of collectibility with the exception of the Some Live Bullshit clear vinyl 7".

Last edited by bigfatlove06 : 01-08-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:51 AM
rebel in black

Someone's selling pieces of it...
Shadrach

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall

Old 01-10-2012, 06:36 AM
I like tight pants

Damn it!
My record dealer in my local record store did get these 7" records separately and said that he hasn't seen the box anywhere. I didn't find anything concrete a few weeks ago, so I've bought this stuff without a box for the double price.
Stupid fans that can't wait...

The money for the box is worth of course.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:24 AM
lay some treats on us

Post Re: Paul's Boutique 8x7" Box Set

Most of the 7 inches in this compilation make sense in that they includes PB demos, instrumentals, and/or a live track. For instance, the A Year And A Day 7 inch includes live versions of A Year And A Day and Hello Brooklyn on side 1 and then the instrumental of A Year And A Day and the Hello Brooklyn demo on side 2. Kind of makes sense, right? Here is where it gets weird. Case in point is the 3 Minute Rule 7 inch: side 1 has the 3 Minute Rule demo, but then all side 2 has is the Hey Ladies (Fred C remix) from the DVD anthology. The 3 Minute Rule instrumental is nowhere to be found. A couple of the other 7 inches include tracks that are not rare at all such as the album version of 5 Piece Chicken Dinner and Ask For Janice, Pt II.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfoot View Post
Most of the 7 inches in this compilation make sense in that they includes PB demos, instrumentals, and/or a live track. For instance, the A Year And A Day 7 inch includes live versions of A Year And A Day and Hello Brooklyn on side 1 and then the instrumental of A Year And A Day and the Hello Brooklyn demo on side 2. Kind of makes sense, right? Here is where it gets weird. Case in point is the 3 Minute Rule 7 inch: side 1 has the 3 Minute Rule demo, but then all side 2 has is the Hey Ladies (Fred C remix) from the DVD anthology. The 3 Minute Rule instrumental is nowhere to be found. A couple of the other 7 inches include tracks that are not rare at all such as the album version of 5 Piece Chicken Dinner and Ask For Janice, Pt II.
I spent a lot of time trying to figure out where all of the tracks came from originally, and whether or not they have ever been released on vinyl (the description said that 20 of the 21 tracks had never been released on vinyl before). While I was researching it for the Beastiemania listing I had some similar questions. What I found out is that the releases had to be done at the same time because of the way they fit together as a whole even though they were released first as singles. There is no way that each of the singles could have been planned FIRST as a single, and then later boxed together as a kind of compilation box set. For example each of the first 7 singles feature 2 tracks from the original album. The 8th single has portions of B Boy Bouillabaisse. So if each single is played in order 1-8 they mirror the original track listing. That had to be by design. Also the etchings on the run out grooves are sequential for each of the 8 releases so it was clearly planned out as a series of releases.

My second thought was that if they did it that way why only Hello Brooklyn and A Year A Day for disc 8? IMO the answer is that 1) You can't fit a 12 minute track on a 7", and 2) If you want to sell each in the series as a single, then you would have to have Live / Instrumental / Demo versions of tracks like Lay It On Me. So taking that into perspective, I started looking at what was known to exist from known source recordings. I won't bore you with the details (as if you weren't bored already), but that really leads to the answer to your question.

If each of the singles was designed to contain 2 tracks, in sequence, and mirror the original track list, then 3-Minute Rule / Hey Ladies is disc 4 (tracks 7 & 8 on the original release). Why they left out the 3-Minute Rule Instrumental is a good question, and I don't really have an answer (other than that play time per side was a consideration). But the question of why the Fred C. Mix was included seems to be because they have never performed it live and that the only known instrumental for it is from a promo cassette tape (sound issues?). They could have included 33% God as an instrumental, but then they would have had to include a track that has been released on vinyl before. Similarly, there 13 known performances of 5-Piece Chicken Dinner Live, but I couldn't find any that have been recorded. There is no known instrumental for 5PCD, and no demo for it that I could find. As far as Ask For Janice goes, pretty much the same as 5-piece.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Beasties#2fan

Got mine in the mail a couple weeks ago from amazon.com. $60, pretty damn cool if you ask me. Haven't played it, as I already have it all from other sources.. Will try and take a bunch of photos soon.

www.Beastiemixes.com
Beastie Boys Remix Hosting/Downloads, Rare Tracks. blah, Blah, etc...
---------------------------
www.Beastieboyslive.com
Live Show Downloads