Old 05-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Music est. 1986

Default Record Collecting Feature

Here is a little article I was interviewed for in this month's Record Collecting magazine.

I know a lot of you have way bigger collections than me.
Old 05-07-2020, 08:53 AM

Arrow Re: Record Collecting Feature

Nice article! Yeah, the Beastiemania crew have crazy collections! I thought I had some heat but they're busting out Pauls Boutique instrumental tapes, unused Licensed to Ill show vinyl and whatnot.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Record Collecting Feature

Awesome!

Interestingly, I also got the Anthology that year for Christmas as my first real Beastie item. I also remember saving up around 10-15 years ago to buy the green Ill Communication vinyl on eBay from the US - maybe you beat me to it!

I really want to Anthology on vinyl, it just looks like such a lush package - but I’m coming to the realisation that it’s gonna be expensive no matter what.

Side question - how tall are you and what size Brooklyn Dust Music hoodie did you buy?

Great work again!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:01 AM
space cake cookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
Side question - how tall are you and what size Brooklyn Dust Music hoodie did you buy?
hahaha

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 05-07-2020, 02:02 PM

that was a fun read! thanks for sharing.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:34 PM
space cake cookie

yes thank you for posting, cool read. i like the idea of keeping the number to around 500, that's a good move.

i recently discovered waxworkrecords.com and i immediately knew it was a bad find. my love of movies and movie soundtracks + the packaging of these is pure art and a total nerdgasm..not too mention how good they sound. i picked up the thing, cruising which is just an amazing collection of grime, taxi driver, manhunter, creepshow & friday 13th pt.4 for my friend. these are beautiful in every way.

thank you adam adam & mike

Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust monkey View Post
yi picked up the thing, cruising which is just an amazing collection of grime, taxi driver, manhunter, creepshow & friday 13th pt.4 for my friend. these are beautiful in every way.

oooo! I'm going to try very hard to not head over to that site right now and buy The Thing on vinyl. I'll end up spending all my money at that place.

message board

Old 05-07-2020, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
Here is a little article I was interviewed for in this month's Record Collecting magazine.

thanks for sharing

message board

Old 05-08-2020, 10:36 AM

Very cool. I also love how whenever any collector references the lathe cut Aglio e Olio they always follow it with "this thing sounds like shit" just to make sure no one spends a bunch of money thinking they're going to get some sonic gem.

Good luck on Pollywog Stew and Country Mike!
Old 05-09-2020, 05:23 PM
Music est. 1986

Thanks all!

Quote:
I also remember saving up around 10-15 years ago to buy the green Ill Communication vinyl on eBay from the US
I really want to Anthology on vinyl, it just looks like such a lush package - but I’m coming to the realisation that it’s gonna be expensive no matter what.
I just looked up some of the prices of what I paid. I believe all the prices I am listing are in US dollars and included international shipping to Canada.

In 2017 I got the Ill Communication Green vinyl for $70
I got Aglio E Olio in 2017 for $64
In Sound From Way Out Golden Vinyl for $66 back in 2017
The Anthology for $210.00 back in 2015. Good condition too. (I think this was the best deal).

Quote:
haha, a lot taller then that picture would let on. I am 5'10 but slouch all the time so I look shorter. I have always been pretty skinny but have a longer torso so it's always a battle between small and medium. In the past I have gotten shirts off the website that were medium only to find that they were too baggy and didn't fit me right. They would have suited me when I was teenager and I thought the baggier the better. I also ordered a small shirt with the HSCP2 deluxe package and ended up giving it away because it was too tight and verging on a belly shirt.
For the Brooklyn dust hoodie I went with a medium and it fits perfectly. My only complaint was that it was pretty pricey (I packaged it in with the Masestro shirt and PB purple reissue, which sounds great btw) and it the material feels a bit thin for northern climate hoody standards (it's May and we had snow yesterday). So if you are in warmer climate the hoodie might be perfect.

Quote:
yes thank you for posting, cool read. i like the idea of keeping the number to around 500, that's a good move.
It's really hard to keep it at that number. Especially pre Covid when I was running my record tour. Instead of going shopping every few weeks I was going multiple times a week so it was like working at 5 different record shops. More deals and rare gems pop up that you had to take advantage of.
The 500 level is for a few reasons.
Living downtown in a big city does not provided a lot of room and I also had to move multiple times within the past few years. So space and hassle of moving was one factor.
2nd is that I look at the collection as a more curated approach. Only the best makes it. I used to have 2 copies of Ill Communication, LTI and PB on vinyl. Then I consolidated to having only the best copy of each. I cheat a bit as I still have other copies of those albums on other mediums (cd and cassette).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
lathe cut Aglio e Olio they always follow it with "this thing sounds like shit" just to make sure no one spends a bunch of money thinking they're going to get some sonc gem.
Haha yup. In the back of my head I was thinking, maybe my copy would be different. But nope, still shit.
The completest in me needed the official and physical recordings of the bonus tracks though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Good luck on Pollywog Stew and Country Mike!
Thanks, as I mentioned. I almost don't want them because then the journey would be over. I almost have all the rarities I am looking for but every time I go to a record store I am always hoping to be surprised by finding one of those records for sale.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks all!

The Anthology for $210.00 back in 2015. Good condition too. (I think this was the best deal).

haha, a lot taller then that picture would let on. I am 5'10 but slouch all the time so I look shorter. I have always been pretty skinny but have a longer torso so it's always a battle between small and medium. In the past I have gotten shirts off the website that were medium only to find that they were too baggy and didn't fit me right. They would have suited me when I was teenager and I thought the baggier the better. I also ordered a small shirt with the HSCP2 deluxe package and ended up giving it away because it was too tight and verging on a belly shirt.
For the Brooklyn dust hoodie I went with a medium and it fits perfectly. My only complaint was that it was pretty pricey (I packaged it in with the Masestro shirt and PB purple reissue, which sounds great btw) and it the material feels a bit thin for northern climate hoody standards (it's May and we had snow yesterday). So if you are in warmer climate the hoodie might be perfect .
Absolutely good deal on the anthology. It’s always £250-350 whenever I see it.

Yeah I want that hoodie but it is pretty pricey, and I think XL will be too big for me. Sizes are all over the show though - I got a medium t-shirt from the site a few years ago that remains a perfect fit. I got a L Root Down soon after as there were no Mediums left and it was slightly tighter (?!) but an OK fit still. The last t-shirt I got (graffiti logo) was an L and it is skin tight! So they are getting smaller for some reason!

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 05-15-2020, 03:41 PM

Quote:

I really enjoyed the article. I love hearing about other people's collections, and why they do what they do.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:

i recently discovered waxworkrecords.com and i immediately knew it was a bad find. my love of movies and movie soundtracks + the packaging of these is pure art and a total nerdgasm..not too mention how good they sound. i picked up the thing, cruising which is just an amazing collection of grime, taxi driver, manhunter, creepshow & friday 13th pt.4 for my friend. these are beautiful in every way.
I can second this sentiment. I started in 2015 trying to get every Marvel movie and TV show original scores on vinyl. This was where I started...

https://mondoshop.com/
Old 05-16-2020, 03:30 AM
rebel in black

Quote:

Thanks for sharing!

I'm no way close to a nerd collector, I just try to have all on vinyl, but no need to have from different countries and stuff like that. Most of them I bought when they were released (not Cooky Puss and Pollywog, doh!.... of which I didn't realise I had two different releases, one with live gig, until now when I was putting everything up on Discogs....). I'm still missing Shadrach 12". I've had it on look out on eBay for years, but the shipping from US has always been too much, and nowadays even worse. I just have to wait for my luck at Swedish record fairs....

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall