Old 02-09-2014, 06:56 AM
Online Since 1999

Question Travelling to NYC

Hello, I’m travelling to NYC in March for a week. It’s my first time in the US, and I’m going to stay basically in Manhattan. I wonder if you could point me some nice places to visit. Not just the famous buildings (empire state, liberty island, ground zero…), but local places like markets, music stores, squares or whatever you find interesting to see the city life.

I’m also thinking about attending to a NBA game. The one I can go is Nets vs Bulls, which looks pretty good, but I don’t know if it’s worth and safe going to Brooklyn in subway by night and getting back the same way.
I know I might sound a bit paranoid, but here in Europe we have a very violent image of the US with all that movies and TV series.

Anyway, thank you very much for your time, all advices will be appreciated!

beastiemixes.com

Old 02-10-2014, 09:11 AM
no mames

Default Re: Travelling to NYC

It really depends what you're into.
If you're into concerts and cool events, when you get here, pick up a copy of the Village Voice, or check our their website: http://www.villagevoice.com/
It should give you a general idea of bands playing and concerts. ( I just checked the websites, they have lists of diners, things to do, etc)
Outside of the city, In Williamsburg/Bushwick in Brooklyn, and there's a lot of cool stores. Just take the L over.

Actually, one of my favorite places in the city is pretty different from the rest of New York. http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters The Cloisters is part of the Met Museum, a collection of medieval artifacts. (I always thought it was cool, but it may not be your thing)

Are you travelling alone? I wouldn't say its necessarily dangerous to take the train at night, it depends on what time you're talking about. Trains are usually busy until around 11:30-midnight, after that when people clear out it may get a little shady, but just keep your wits about you. Or you can easily get a cab back to the city, from Barclays center I don't imagine it would cost too much.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Keeper of the Weiner

Default Re: Travelling to NYC

You MUST do Sleep No More. Www.sleepnomorenyc.com. In my top 5 favorite nights of all time. Must!

Quote:
f' my house...co' pulled the plug/chillin in the swimming hole with my pug