Old 05-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Used to post some back in the day but mostly lurk. I've been on the board damn near every single day since way back but I'm not the type to have too much to say.

Now I feel like I have to say something.

It's been a week and I'm still so gutted over it. The boys have been the only constant in my life since I was 2 years old in 1986. I'm now 28. The influence they have had on me and my life is staggering. So much of who I am can easily be traced back to them. This really feels like losing a friend and family.

I'm still trying to search for words but so many have already expressed it so beautifully. Seeing that I'm not the only one that felt so deeply for our boy makes me feel a little better.

I love and miss you, Adam. I can never express my gratitude for the values you, Adam, and Mike taught me and all the cool shit you opened my eyes to.

My heart is with his family, his crew at O-scope, and of course the rest of the team. From $ Mark, Alfredo, MMM, Cey, and so on and on.

And of course all of you guys.

Long burn the fire.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Zeno

Damn, I still can't believe it. Even here in Holland the pain is still very real. Will miss new Musical master pieces of MCA. But I thank him for what he has given us.

Adam MCA Yauch will be the master for ever.

RIP
Old 05-11-2012, 12:52 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post

A flow master of disaster with a sound that's gone...

so put your worries on hold
get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 05-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
Damn, I still can't believe it. Even here in Holland the pain is still very real. Will miss new Musical master pieces of MCA. But I thank him for what he has given us.

RIP
Here's hopin' the vault is full of goodies and we are lucky enough to get a chance to experience them.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonP View Post
Here's hopin' the vault is full of goodies and we are lucky enough to get a chance to experience them.
+1

"my name is MCA and I still do what I please"

"For the rest of my lifetimes and even beyond, I vow to do my best to do no harm"

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
You hear that fkn brass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I love this
Ditto

www.theillestfans.webs.com
Welcome to the site of illest proportions.

When you've got so much to say
It's called GRATITUDE
& That's RIGHT.

(R.I.P Adam Yauch.)

Every thought in the mind
is a planted seed.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:56 PM

Don't know if anybody on here listens to the Greg Proops podcast The Smartest Man In The World, but he did a long tribute to Yauch on this weeks show. Check it: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheSmartest
Old 05-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

One of Adam's old girlfriend's... Well I can't confirm this but she was in photos with him in the 80's. Anyway she commented on an old photo of them together on our facebook fanpage. She has some tribute photos up too. Nice seeing all of those people who were in his life come out and pay their respects.

Edit: She was his girlfriend. She just confirmed that. cool.

Ugh I cried at work today and had to tell people I had something in my eye when they walked past me. I am a wreck. Margarita night thankfully.

Edit again: Had to add what she said about Adam passing.

Unofficial Beastie memorial at MOCA Geffen, last day, with video tribute. Strong turnout. Saw a lot of old faces. Represented NYC in da Haus. Met people I had heard about for years! Was told a special message, that Yauch tried every treatment in the book. The best of the best! He gave it his all! It was his time to go! He was ready! He finished his mission. His message? Do something good in the world. Care about people. Give back. Everyone you contact with, you can influence Positively! ---Aura

(He tried every treatment in the book? Breaks my heart.)

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 05-11-2012 at 06:42 PM. Reason: ugh.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLovesMCA View Post
"He was ready! He finished his mission. His message? Do something good in the world. Care about people. Give back. Everyone you contact with, you can influence Positively!"
That definitely sounds like our man alright.

I know I will continue to try to be a better person in his honor just as he's always inspired me to do.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM

I find it hard to express myself about Yauch's passing. While I of course can no where understand the depths of the pain and loss his family and friends may feel I can honestly say that I feel like a part of my youth and musical life was stolen from me. No matter how many years have passed since the Beastie's entered my life with their music and message they have always seemed timeless and ageless to me. I knew Yauch was battling cancer like so many millions of other people on this planet but never for a second did I think it would catch such a loving, passionate, true person.

I've read all the tributes in all the papers, online and whatever else I come across and it only reaffirms my belief that Yauch and his musical brothers did and gave much more to this world than most can aspire. Mad props to true talent, class and love. NYC forever, Beasties forever, Yauch forever.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynNico View Post
I find it hard to express myself about Yauch's passing.
I thought you did a fine job in your first post; I went back and read it a few times. Hang in there, all of us feel a great loss and something is missing that will never be replaced. Hopefully, time will heal and we'll always have the music.

"MCA, where have you been?"

In our hearts, and he always will be.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:06 PM

I feel so lucky that at a time when I was young and impressionable that my idols were on top of the world spreading positivity and compassion.

I can't express what a truly amazing gift that is.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:18 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

It's been a week and I still can't believe it. But the tributes continue to pour in. Amazing.

I know that the world is still turning, life goes on, and there's other things to worry about. I even found myself wrapped up in the N.C. gay marriage ban controversy this week. First thing I thought about besides Yauch's death.

Still, there's that sadness in the air that just won't go away.

I will say, that the amount of love and respect that the Beastie Boys are getting continues to blow my mind. Maybe I just didn't pay attention, but I can't remember the last time a celebrity death got this much outpouring of sorrow and grief other than Michael Jackson's death. It's been repeated everywhere: This death hits hard.

I sometimes wondered if we were the last of a dying breed. In a world where more kids know who Souljaboytellem is than MCA. In a world where a song whose chorus is just the word "Ass" repeated ad nauseum is played more than "Make Some Noise". In a world where "Sabotage" gets less votes than a typical Lil' Wayne "bitches and hoez" music video (this really did happen), I worried if the Beastie Boys would fade further into obscurity with each passing generation.

Well, now, I don't worry about that. The tweets, the blog posts, the mixes, the covers...they all say that the Beastie Boys affected more lives than even we realized. That these three skinny punks from New York meant more to people than even *they* realized. It's heartwarming but bittersweet that it had to take a death for this love to finally come out. People are genuinely depressed about this. They aren't joking. No matter who they are, they are sad.

If this week has taught me anything, it's that the Beastie Boys are one of the most universally adored bands to ever exist. Right up there with The Beatles and Michael Jackson and Elvis Presley. Yeah, I went there. They're most certainly in the Top 10. Top 5 even. They get that "Fuck Yeah!" reaction 9 times out of 10. That's hard to do.

We Love You MCA!

Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy5591 View Post
Don't know if anybody on here listens to the Greg Proops podcast The Smartest Man In The World, but he did a long tribute to Yauch on this weeks show. Check it: http://feeds.feedburner.com/TheSmartest
Good stuff! Thanks

"There is an orb spinning above the Himalayas tonight and it is filled with the life spirit of Adam Yauch!"

Last edited by llasaApso : 05-12-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:21 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:
One of Adam's old girlfriend's... Well I can't confirm this but she was in photos with him in the 80's. Anyway she commented on an old photo of them together on our facebook fanpage. She has some tribute photos up too. Nice seeing all of those people who were in his life come out and pay their respects.

Edit: She was his girlfriend. She just confirmed that. cool.

Ugh I cried at work today and had to tell people I had something in my eye when they walked past me. I am a wreck. Margarita night thankfully.

Edit again: Had to add what she said about Adam passing.

Unofficial Beastie memorial at MOCA Geffen, last day, with video tribute. Strong turnout. Saw a lot of old faces. Represented NYC in da Haus. Met people I had heard about for years! Was told a special message, that Yauch tried every treatment in the book. The best of the best! He gave it his all! It was his time to go! He was ready! He finished his mission. His message? Do something good in the world. Care about people. Give back. Everyone you contact with, you can influence Positively! ---Aura

(He tried every treatment in the book? Breaks my heart.)
WAIT........who was it...because i have someone in mind...and i hope its not the girl im thinkng of...D:

I Love Adam Yauch.
I truly lost apart of myself.
Rap in peace my beautiful friend.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM
The Illest Jew-O-Rican!!!

Now I'm watching Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That. It feels good.

EDIT: Then MCA goes into the crowd and I get sad.

We Love You MCA!

Last edited by M.C. Guevera : 05-12-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasties#1fan View Post
WAIT........who was it...because i have someone in mind...and i hope its not the girl im thinkng of...D:
Aura is her name. They dated from 86-92... And then I believe he met Lisa after that. Aura, Lisa, Mario C, and many others did have a gathering in honor of MCA. There is a photo of them all holding up a photo of Yauch... Here is the link:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM

[quote=JoLovesMCA;1787207]'
'
wow that pic really brought it home.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:54 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:
Aura is her name. They dated from 86-92... And then I believe he met Lisa after that. Aura, Lisa, Mario C, and many others did have a gathering in honor of MCA. There is a photo of them all holding up a photo of Yauch... Here is the link:

But he was with Ione in 89'
but thanks for the link!

I Love Adam Yauch.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:59 PM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post
Now I'm watching Awesome; I Fuckin' Shot That. It feels good.

EDIT: Then MCA goes into the crowd and I get sad.
oh no.

Last edited by Space : 05-12-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:04 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:

one chick looks like ione skye in this picture
its really cool that they got togther and did this!
i sadly havent seen anyp picture of aura and lisa with horovitz in the 80's or 90s

I Love Adam Yauch.

Old 05-12-2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beasties#1fan View Post
one chick looks like ione skye in this picture
its really cool that they got togther and did this!
i sadly havent seen anyp picture of aura and lisa with horovitz in the 80's or 90s
These were Yauch's girlfriends. This is Aura.

http://beastieboysgallery.com/displa...isplay_med ia

She's been commenting on the Yauch facebook about her memories with him. She's really sweet and spiritual just like him.

And her here too where she was commenting about him..............

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3023540&type=1

Last edited by JoLovesMCA : 05-12-2012 at 11:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:58 PM
crazyobessionw/bboys

Quote:

She's been commenting on the Yauch facebook about her memories with him. She's really sweet and spiritual just like him.

OHHHHHHHHHHH hahaha i thought we were talkin about Adrock... Idk.. Haha but yeah!! I have that pic... She was defiantly his type of girl, looks wise.. You know?! But that's cool that they took that pic! I'll have to look at her comments

I Love Adam Yauch.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:44 AM
Phil Communication

Quote:

Seeing Yauch with his baby daughter is very sad, she's lost her Dad at such a young age. So tragic and unfair, at least she's old enough now to not forget him.

I'm still feeling the hurt after more than a week now, which as a 40 year old man has surprised me how much I've been affected, never got really upset over a celebrity death before. I guess normally us normal folk are quite detached from celebs but after 26 years of emotional investment in the Beastie Boys, they were never just a band to me, they've been far, far more. It really has been like losing a family member or close friend.

On a positive note I wore B-Boys tees to work (supposed to wear smart clothes but I thought fuck it, its my way of showing respect) last week and got several comments about Yauch passing and discovered several other fans who I never knew were fans! Had some good conversations, and got a few people to dig out their B-Boys albums for 1st time in a long time.

Anyways, as lots of people have said already the love and support demonstrated on these boards and in the community is incredible, much respect to y'all!

Standin' on the corner drinkin' gasoline,
feelin' kinda groovy if ya know what I mean,
ya see, I can't git a job cuz my pants hang low,
and all the money that I got's goin up in smoke

Old 05-13-2012, 04:27 AM
Phil Communication

This past week has kicked my ass into gear and got me buying Beastie stuff I've been meaning to buy for a long time like the Ill Communication and Hello Nasty remastered editions (already got the other 2) and the Hot Sauce book/DVD/Blu-Ray.

Also bought this t-shirt on eBay which I think is pretty awesome...

Tee

hope the quality is good when it finally arrives.

Standin' on the corner drinkin' gasoline,
feelin' kinda groovy if ya know what I mean,
ya see, I can't git a job cuz my pants hang low,
and all the money that I got's goin up in smoke

Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 AM
rebel in black

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressphil View Post
This past week has kicked my ass into gear and got me buying Beastie stuff I've been meaning to buy for a long time like the Ill Communication and Hello Nasty remastered editions (already got the other 2) and the Hot Sauce book/DVD/Blu-Ray.

Also bought this t-shirt on eBay which I think is pretty awesome...

Tee

hope the quality is good when it finally arrives.

I still can't afford those records but I've got that pic on the T as a poster on my wall

So This Is What I've Got To Say To You All
Be True To Yourself And You Will Never Fall

Old 05-13-2012, 06:03 AM
zonin talkin on the phone

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypressphil View Post
I'm still feeling the hurt after more than a week now, which as a 40 year old man has surprised me how much I've been affected, never got really upset over a celebrity death before. , much respect too

Sending Love From Austin Texas , Forever in my thoughts! Space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey
totally dude. it was my pleasure. today was so amazing for me, and i love my bbmb fam.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:36 AM

Lightbulb Re: Adam Yauch - 1964-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by midzi View Post
Maybe I was naive but it never crossed my mind he could die of this cancer. Never.
Same. This is, I think, one of the reasons why I'm still in denial... a week later, I'm still in denial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.C. Guevera View Post

Adrock was the heart, Mike D was the brains and MCA was the soul of the Beastie Boys.
Love it.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:04 PM

I remember hanging out in my bedroom and my best friend and his younger cousin brought over Licensed to Ill on cassette. We must have been 11 or 12 years old. Everything musically changed for me that day.

For years I've made the comparison that the Beastie Boys are "our" generation's Beatles. They are the only band since that evolved so much musically. You are a true artist and in your passing your art will live on forever.

Thank you Adam.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:08 PM

So, did Adam's funeral happen already? I read somewhere that it was being delayed because he was a Buddhist and as he was also Jewish they had to work it all out. But that can't be right as he and his wife are Buddhists, so surely his funeral will be 100% Buddhist too?
Great that they kept it all so private and away from the press.