Old 02-25-2021, 08:02 AM

Default Mike D's Closet

In a different post I made, someone mentioned getting some rare Beastie records from an eBay auction when Mike D was selling off the contents of his closet. I've heard people mention this over the years but I didn't really think about it too much.

So... what was the deal with that? When was this? What else did he sell? Why the hell is Mike D always selling his personal memorabilia (like his VMA awards) when the dude is clearly not hurting for money?

I wanna know about the Jewish Brad Pitt's closet!
Old 02-25-2021, 11:14 AM

Arrow Re: Mike D's Closet

This was February of 2006. Mike was (apparently) selling things out of his closet and the money went to charity. There were flyers from their early days, and also various records. I got:

Hip Hop Sampler (2 LP): $26.10
Root Down (Blue Colored Vinyl): $11.50
Ill Communication (Green Colored Vinyl): $29.00
A Flyer from the Ritz (1985): $7.50 (Here's the Flyer)
http://beastiemania.com/gigog/show.php?g=19850208a

MiKe also threw in a flyer from an early 80s punk show if I remember right.
Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Re: Mike D's Closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Why the hell is Mike D always selling his personal memorabilia (like his VMA awards) when the dude is clearly not hurting for money?
From an instagram post when he was selling his awards: “I was never comfortable holding onto or looking at these awards/accolades that we got through the years. Don’t get me wrong - I’m appreciative of them, it’s just not something I need to look at."

And you're right, he's not hurting for cash, hence why all the proceeds went to charity.

Overall though, it's just stuff. It doesn't go with you when you pass and after awhile you accumulate so much of it that you don't own it, but it starts to own you.

The fans are probably more appreciative of it or will get more value from it than the creator.

Last edited by brooklyndust : 02-25-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
This was February of 2006. Mike was (apparently) selling things out of his closet and the money went to charity. There were flyers from their early days, and also various records. I got:

Hip Hop Sampler (2 LP): $26.10
Root Down (Blue Colored Vinyl): $11.50
Ill Communication (Green Colored Vinyl): $29.00
A Flyer from the Ritz (1985): $7.50 (Here's the Flyer)
http://beastiemania.com/gigog/show.php?g=19850208a

MiKe also threw in a flyer from an early 80s punk show if I remember right.
Ahh, I didn't know about the charity angle, but that seems right up their alley. The prices for those records though..... I miss those days.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:30 PM

Arrow Re: Mike D's Closet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc70021 View Post
Ahh, I didn't know about the charity angle, but that seems right up their alley. The prices for those records though..... I miss those days.
Those were pretty good prices even in 2006. Certain times things would lull and you could get surprisingly good deals.

I kind of liked eBay more when it was a true auction site. These days it's all "buy it now" at inflated asking prices.
Old 02-27-2021, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
I kind of liked eBay more when it was a true auction site. These days it's all "buy it now" at inflated asking prices.

I hear ya. Plus when the don't accept offers it just makes everything unnecessarily complicated. I've scored probably a half dozen items off Discogs and eBay from sellers who weren't accepting offers, but I just emailed them directly like "Hey I know you said no offers but how about $XX?" That's how I filled out my Love American Style colored reissues and no one turned down my offers as far as I can remember.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the low down on Sweet Lou's closet.

Side note: I'm still bummed about Ricky Powell, but I heard he was working with a person/some people to help him kind of get his shit together professionally. I hope someone is taking good care of his closet(s) and doesn't just sell all his stuff off for cash.