Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

Hey everyone, long time bboy fan, apologies if this has been discussed before..but I've always been fascinated with the unreleased license to Ill era tracks, or better yet the alleged "White House" tracks. (whatever they were) My guess is Desperado would have been one of them. I love "Scenario" and "I'm Down" because they have a much more polished final mix on the versions that are out there. But Desperado, that little clip we hear of it in the RUN DMC movie? That totally mixed and polished version? That's got to be a playback right? They are not actually performing live in that scene are they? Regardless it's Awesome! I fucking love that track. Unfortunately the only full version of that song as we all know is just a rough unmixed version. Some of the versions of it you can actually hear Rick Rubin say its a rough playback track before it starts. I'm curious where that track originated from? I see it packaged with boots of original ill sometimes, but I don't believe the original, original Ill (heh) had that track on it. Some bootlegger added it later. The very first time I ever found that "full version" was back in the days of napster when it was at its peak. When you could find ANYTHING, (pretty much where Grooveshark is now.) anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the origin boot of desperado is and what other Tracks were on that boot?

The whole reason I bore you with this is a for a request of sorts. I am not musically talented at all, but I have seen some amazing things people have pulled of with music software these days especially with remixing songs, cutting them up adding effects and layers that I never would have imagined possible. I wish I had audio skills like some of you lucky talented fuckers out there.

What I was hoping was that someone that has the audio chops, (since it does not look like the bboys are ever going to release this song) can reconstruct a mix using that playback track to sound more like the polished version from Tougher Than Leather. Maybe someone already has...if so I've never heard it. I wish to god they would have included it on the soundtrack. But sadly, just like Pump Up The Volume with Scenario they did not. We just get teased with that little bit in the movie. Its almost infuriating to listen to because it sounds so god damned cool!! And painfully talked over in parts with dialogue from the film.

What I love about this song is it is just soooo Beastie Boys of that era, I know they moved on and matured past that sound. But I can't help that a huge piece of me does not love that version of the Beastie Boys. I remember when Paul's b came out and a lot of people were disappointed because it was not a lic to Ill 2. (don't get me wrong, I fucking loved Paul's and it's by far my favorite album) but I got to say, just to be honest, not to be an asshole or disrespect the beastie boys in any way... I was stoked on the idea of an unauthorized White House album potentially coming out...simply because I knew that, that version of the Beasties Boys was dead and it would be cool to hear some new tracks from that era of Beastie Boys. I think that, that song is the last of its kind in a way. At least that we know of. If anyone out there has the ability to complete the last bread crumb of that era, I'm sure I would not be the only one stoked about it. You would be the fucking king in my book.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:53 AM

Arrow Re: Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

The full version came from a guy who used to work at American recordings. I bought some Beastie Boys records from a guy off eBay in the late 90s, we got to e-mailing and he menitoned he had a friend who worked at American Recordings who had pulled the desperado rough mix "for playback purposes" off the master tape. The guy dubbed it for me along with the tail end of an "extended cut" of Possie in Effect (that has Adrock just talking shit over the beat at the end) which, apparently, came off the same source tape. According to him that was all that was ever on the tape. There were a handful of people from the boards I made copies of Desperado for, asked them to keep it on the DL, and they immediately started bootlegging it on eBay, and claimed they "found" it. I never leaked the Possie in Effect thing, and probably never will.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir SkratchaLot View Post
The full version came from a guy who used to work at American recordings. I bought some Beastie Boys records from a guy off eBay in the late 90s, we got to e-mailing and he menitoned he had a friend who worked at American Recordings who had pulled the desperado rough mix "for playback purposes" off the master tape. The guy dubbed it for me along with the tail end of an "extended cut" of Possie in Effect (that has Adrock just talking shit over the beat at the end) which, apparently, came off the same source tape. According to him that was all that was ever on the tape. There were a handful of people from the boards I made copies of Desperado for, asked them to keep it on the DL, and they immediately started bootlegging it on eBay, and claimed they "found" it. I never leaked the Possie in Effect thing, and probably never will.
I honestly don't understand this mindset. Why would you keep something on the DL? It's like a big F. U. to all the Beastie Boys fans. If you have something special that Beastie Boys fans would love, why not share it with other Beastie Boys fans. I wish the Beastie fans were like the old Grateful Dead fans who made their own community and shared everything with each other.

Most people on this board are long term fans who would love to hear some Beastie Boys history.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:29 PM

i remember getting a copy in the 90s, but i thought Gwedo King hooked me up...

thank you Adam.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj hood View Post
i remember getting a copy in the 90s, but i thought Gwedo King hooked me up...
He got it from me.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
He got it from me.

but as a i recall, i bought it from you on EBAY. I paid somethin like $70 for it. i know you said others sold it ebay and you were mad at them but you did the same thing yourself. I didnt sell it on ebay, i merely resold it on the old beastie ng for a mere $7 a pop, to cover the cost of the cassette and s&h.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceAlabama View Post
I honestly don't understand this mindset. Why would you keep something on the DL? It's like a big F. U. to all the Beastie Boys fans. If you have something special that Beastie Boys fans would love, why not share it with other Beastie Boys fans. I wish the Beastie fans were like the old Grateful Dead fans who made their own community and shared everything with each other.

Most people on this board are long term fans who would love to hear some Beastie Boys history.
Because I was asked to by the guy who gave it to me.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Rest in Peace Yauch

Quote:
Because I was asked to by the guy who gave it to me.
It's been long enough...you ought to let the Posse track leak. Does the guy who gave it to you still even work there?

Thank You Adam Yauch

Old 03-06-2012, 07:15 PM

Wow! Dude thank you for the answer. That was pretty awesome. I totally understand you sitting on it to avoid bootleggers grabbing it and making bullshit money off it. I can not tell you how annoyed I get with WEEN shit I have had in the past that, that exact thing has happened with. You have to be careful.

It really makes me wonder though WHAT is out there still you know? I mean it was QUITE a while before the Pauls Demos leaked. If I had gotten ahold of those back in the day? Like when my fandom for those guys was at its peak? I would have exploded. It was truly amazing to hear when I finally did get my greedy mits on it.

I've wondered how much pauls shit there is that we have not even begun to hear...and probably won't till they are dead. I have a friend who has a copy of the Dr Strangelove ending and the original Shining ending. He has been sitting on that shit for years too. The sheer nuts and will power of that...

...and wow! talk about having a Beastie Boy holy grail and keeping it close like that...I got to say my hat is off to you man. Pissed at you beyond belief! But it makes me respect the fuck out of you, you lucky fucker...respect. And respect on the ground working getting it. I know how hard that can be too.

Any idea on the history of the Pauls Demos? Where they came from and how complete they are? (Apologies again if this has already been discussed.)
Old 03-06-2012, 11:40 PM
Beasties#2fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laver1969 View Post
It's been long enough...you ought to let the Posse track leak. Does the guy who gave it to you still even work there?
I've got the perfect place for it, will give full credit (or not) if you like..

http://www.beastiemixes.com/rare.php

www.Beastiemixes.com
Beastie Boys Remix Hosting/Downloads, Rare Tracks. blah, Blah, etc...
---------------------------
www.Beastieboyslive.com
Live Show Downloads