Old 12-02-2005, 07:33 AM
non sequitur.

Exclamation face transplants.

for those who haven't read about it, see here.
i am really interested in this. i did my psychology dissertation on faces [and movement and recognition but lets not go there] as i think it is so uniquely fascinating.

also there is a bit of voyeur in me when it comes to people who live their lives with massive facial disfigurements. it really humbles you. all the days you piss and moan about how you look - too fat, too thin, complexion, wrinkles, hair etc when people exist who look just horrific. i don't care about all this equality shit, beauty does effect how you are treated in life. your chances for a job. your relationships with others. beauty/uglyness is, i guess, by definition the most "visible" dis/advantages an individual can have. it's really quite curious.

i love how in that story the woman was attacked by her dog trying to awake her after an attempted suicide overdose. the dog in effect saved her life! i wonder if she's tried to kill herself again over her appearance... who knows.

anyway. all's i'm saying we should be grateful for our beauty, y'all!
fo reals.

she's a pearl of a girl, i guess that's what you might say

Old 12-02-2005, 08:18 AM
non sequitur.

Talking

i can't believe we are more concerned with discussing how adam_f got a sock full of shit swiped at him than SOMEONE'S FACE BEING REMOVED AND PUT ON ANOTHER PERSON!

cracks me up.

Old 12-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I always get my sin

Default Re: face transplants.

Wow, amazing story...

I can't even begin to immagine how that must feel for a parent. I cringed at the idea that accidents like that can happen in a matter of a split second whether it is with kids or with adults.

Sounds like you have quite a kid there.

Must be at least partially due to the parenting

Pussy Galore's Flying Circus

Old 12-02-2005, 09:21 AM
non sequitur.

what an amazing story.
i didn't mean to upset anyone, just to stimulate discussion - and obviously you have a personal experience with such a horrific event in your child's life.
it really is such a strange phenomenon, how people react to people - even children - with different faces.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:04 AM
BEAZTIE BOYZ #1 FANZ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by na§tee
i can't believe we are more concerned with discussing how adam_f got a sock full of shit swiped at him than SOMEONE'S FACE BEING REMOVED AND PUT ON ANOTHER PERSON!

cracks me up.
Haha. This cracked me up.

I live in fear of something ever happening to my daughter pretty much 25 hours a day. cmute, your little anecdote didn't really encourage me to worry less, but it was a great story.

On a less unpleasant note, when I first saw the movie Face Off, in the theater, I thought it was brilliant. I loved it. And then I bought it when it came out on video or whatever and all I remember thinking was wtf kinda crack was I smoking that day because it's honestly the stupidest movie I can think of. And I'm including movies like Dumb And Dumberer and Ishtar here.

KILLA

Your mom busted in and said, "What's that noise?"
Aw, mom you're just jealous, it's the Beas-tie-Boys!!!

Old 12-02-2005, 10:41 AM
I always get my sin

That's what it comes down to I guess, making sure your kid is prepared for everything you can be prepared for. You can't avoid silly accidents, not even by putting your kid in a damn bubble.

I loved Carlin's take on kids being overprotected these days.

"When I was a kid we used to swim in raw sewage, and we never got sick. Do you know why? Because we swam in raw sewage."

Not that I'd let my kid swim in raw sewage... but... you know...

Pussy Galore's Flying Circus