Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2012, 02:31 PM

Default Desperado : Tougher Than Leather Mix recreation

Hey everyone, long time bboy fan, apologies if this has been discussed before..but I've always been fascinated with the unreleased license to Ill era tracks, or better yet the alleged "White House" tracks. (whatever they were) My guess is Desperado would have been one of them. I love "Scenario" and "I'm Down" because they have a much more polished final mix on the versions that are out there. But Desperado, that little clip we hear of it in the RUN DMC movie? That totally mixed and polished version? That's got to be a playback right? They are not actually performing live in that scene are they? Regardless it's Awesome! I fucking love that track. Unfortunately the only full version of that song as we all know is just a rough unmixed version. Some of the versions of it you can actually hear Rick Rubin say its a rough playback track before it starts. I'm curious where that track originated from? I see it packaged with boots of original ill sometimes, but I don't believe the original, original Ill (heh) had that track on it. Some bootlegger added it later. The very first time I ever found that "full version" was back in the days of napster when it was at its peak. When you could find ANYTHING, (pretty much where Grooveshark is now.) anyways, I'm wondering if anyone knows what the origin boot of desperado is and what other Tracks were on that boot?

The whole reason I bore you with this is a for a request of sorts. I am not musically talented at all, but I have seen some amazing things people have pulled of with music software these days especially with remixing songs, cutting them up adding effects and layers that I never would have imagined possible. I wish I had audio skills like some of you lucky talented fuckers out there.

What I was hoping was that someone that has the audio chops, (since it does not look like the bboys are ever going to release this song) can reconstruct a mix using that playback track to sound more like the polished version from Tougher Than Leather. Maybe someone already has...if so I've never heard it. I wish to god they would have included it on the soundtrack. But sadly, just like Pump Up The Volume with Scenario they did not. We just get teased with that little bit in the movie. Its almost infuriating to listen to because it sounds so god damned cool!! And painfully talked over in parts with dialogue from the film.

What I love about this song is it is just soooo Beastie Boys of that era, I know they moved on and matured past that sound. But I can't help that a huge piece of me does not love that version of the Beastie Boys. I remember when Paul's b came out and a lot of people were disappointed because it was not a lic to Ill 2. (don't get me wrong, I fucking loved Paul's and it's by far my favorite album) but I got to say, just to be honest, not to be an asshole or disrespect the beastie boys in any way... I was stoked on the idea of an unauthorized White House album potentially coming out...simply because I knew that, that version of the Beasties Boys was dead and it would be cool to hear some new tracks from that era of Beastie Boys. I think that, that song is the last of its kind in a way. At least that we know of. If anyone out there has the ability to complete the last bread crumb of that era, I'm sure I would not be the only one stoked about it. You would be the fucking king in my book.