Old 11-27-2013, 04:48 AM
Scientist

Default Re: Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
The original song isn’t half as annoying as the common interpretations of it. Yes it’s juvenile, and yes it says stupid things. But on the whole, this kid liked this girl, and she rejected him. Twice. For his best friends. And so he lashes out with some insults to make himself feel better. Pretty standard. Not right, but standard behaviour, particularly for a young bloke. Verrrrrry tame insults, too. Think of the things he could have said. It’s just a silly song telling a silly story; the old “can’t live with them, can’t live without them” paradigm. Would have made a great hardcore track (which it basically is).
Ya we sure do say some stupid things when we feel rejected -- especially when you are young. Perhaps (at some deep unconscious level) the song writers were hypothesising that the origins of human sexism / homophobia is the result of unconsciously feeling inferior. Kind of like repressed gay men being homophobic. Or perhaps they were just telling a fun, silly story based on someone they new at the time. I think Goldieblox and others are making an enormous mistake to consider this song literally or how the authors felt and behaved toward women at the time (i.e., with regards to the female gender-stereotyped roles or if a woman does not like me she must be gay idea).

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Last edited by Michelle*s_Farm : 11-27-2013 at 05:01 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:29 AM
Scientist

Big news, on Goldieblox youtube channel the video has been made private. This could be tactic, legal reasons or perhaps Goldieblox is not willing to fight Beastie Boys and their legion of intelligent supporters (after they get mobilised).

"A lot of record companies look at the numbers and they'll be like, 'Your first record sold 5 million and your second record sold only 800,000. What happened? You guys fell off, I think the band all feels that the record did really well. Most musicians I grew up playing music with would probably shoot me if I ever complained about selling 800,000 records."

Old 11-27-2013, 05:40 AM
Current Member

Mobilised. Yeah, right.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 AM
Tella Tillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
I always hated that song. Not because of the lyrics....I couldn't care less back then... I just hated the sound of it. I always fast forwarded Girls and Fight For Your Right. They're the lamest songs on the album.
yeah, the music for girls sounds like it got written for 3 year olds
and fight for your right is too rockish for me but i like the lyrics

im glad that company atleast hasnt used a better beastie song but it is still not fair at all

and till this case i didnt even know how many beastie haters were out there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim wont fix it View Post
Hitler was RIGHT wing you stupid fuckbeast

Old 11-27-2013, 08:51 AM
Fair Use

Goldieblox's letter re: takedown.

This company's a joke. They're on some evangelical, millenial, startup bullshit. Check out this video they made to benefit a village in India. It's probably the most tone-deaf, offensive shit I've seen in a long time.

©MMIX. All rights reserved.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChavello View Post
Goldieblox's letter re: takedown.

This company's a joke. They're on some evangelical, millenial, startup bullshit. Check out this video they made to benefit a village in India. It's probably the most tone-deaf, offensive shit I've seen in a long time.
I am growing to really dislike this company. They're contending to become for girl empowerment what PETA is for vegans. Awful.
"A song we weren't too proud of..." Umm, you can't be proud or not proud of something you have nothing to do with, dickwads.

That girl ain't nothing but the blue plate crab special at Woodman's in Essex, MA

Old 11-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Fair Use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz View Post
"A song we weren't too proud of..." Umm, you can't be proud or not proud of something you have nothing to do with, dickwads.
Exactly. What level of being a self-involved asshole do you need to reach to tell someone you aren't proud of their music?

Old 11-27-2013, 11:39 AM
noR ehT

That letter from GoldieBlox is ridiculous.
It states: “Our hearts sank last week when your lawyers called us with threats”

How is asking them how/why they used “Girls” w/out permission considered a threat??

"MC for what I am and do...the A is for Adam"

Old 11-27-2013, 12:51 PM
I'm flowing prose to cons

The more they talk the deeper their hole of shit gets! And the whole part of “song you’re not proud of” just pisses me off. Yes they had every intention of using it to sell their product and their open letter reveals that........they are trying to make the Beasties look bad. PALEEZE!!! This band has done a lot more for youth and female empowerment than their little old company ever will.

I like that they said Adam Yauch is the reason they decided to pull it, but it doesn’t seem sincere at all. Especially since they say in the next breath oh but it’s fair use anyway…like they are doing the Beasties a favor by not using it now.

I'll never turn back 'cause that's the way I've got to live.....

https://twitter.com/beastieboysnews

Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Tella Tillas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Goetz View Post
I am growing to really dislike this company. They're contending to become for girl empowerment what PETA is for vegans. Awful.
yes

i love your comparison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim wont fix it View Post
Hitler was RIGHT wing you stupid fuckbeast

Old 11-27-2013, 02:01 PM

All they had to do was ask permission first.

If they were such fans and wanted to be friends, that would of been the polite thing to do.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyChavello View Post
What a load of shit. Now I'm actually getting upset. They're continuing to set this up as if the Beastie Boys brought the lawsuit. This stupid company wants everyone to believe they were FORCED to sue the Beastie Boys and now they have no control over it--they can't possibly dismiss the lawsuit they started. Yes, they could, easily. WTF.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:05 PM
give me head till im dead

probably some women who made that commercial and thought they could get away with it.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 PM
Current Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Documad View Post
What a load of shit. Now I'm actually getting upset. They're continuing to set this up as if the Beastie Boys brought the lawsuit. This stupid company wants everyone to believe they were FORCED to sue the Beastie Boys and now they have no control over it--they can't possibly dismiss the lawsuit they started. Yes, they could, easily. WTF.
Doc, is there an element of slander or defamation involved in what the toy company is communicating?

Shout at the Devil!

Old 11-27-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Doc, is there an element of slander or defamation involved in what the toy company is communicating?
They can probably say that's how they felt -- they were just stating their opinion in saying they felt threatened. But it's really shitty. Next the company will say their lawyer forced them into it.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
All they had to do was ask permission first.

If they were such fans and wanted to be friends, that would of been the polite thing to do.
Yes, but they knew the B-Boys stance on commercials. They figured there was a strong chance they'd be turned down. So their move was to put it out without asking. Then when the B-Boys contact them, they blow it up in the press with a lawsuit. Some underhanded shit, as they still get all the attention and press they wanted. I'm sure in their minds they were like "either way we can't lose".

A wolf in sheep's clothing. They pretend they're for these noble social causes, but in reality, all they care about is themselves and their business. The audacity of some people, it just never fails to surprise me. It's really sickening.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 PM

Apparently the company is in a super bowl ad contest?
Old 11-28-2013, 07:07 AM
technically insane

Hate the game, not the player?

Granted My kids are not getting shit from this company.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 11-28-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbott View Post
Hate the game, not the player?
Is this what Brutus said about stabbing Caesar in the back?

I think a quote by PT Barnum is more appropriate here.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Current Member

It's a really weird, interesting thing that's going on. Still sorta positive they pulled the clip.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:03 AM

I like the interpretation of this as a "millennial" thing. The absolute arrogance and self-importance combined with total cluelessness and see-through douchebaggery is very apparent. XD I wouldn't be surprised if this company was founded by active Tumblr users.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Mr.Doris tha Funk-A-Suars

somebody needs to make a mash-up with the original 'Girls' song over the top of that commercial... or even better throw 'What Comes Around' on top of the vid

Go download my Beastie Boys remixes
Peace, MCScoobyT

http://beastiemixes.com/remixer.php?id=69

Old 11-29-2013, 03:40 AM
Registered Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3stooges View Post
Yes, but they knew the B-Boys stance on commercials. They figured there was a strong chance they'd be turned down. So their move was to put it out without asking. Then when the B-Boys contact them, they blow it up in the press with a lawsuit. Some underhanded shit, as they still get all the attention and press they wanted. I'm sure in their minds they were like "either way we can't lose".

A wolf in sheep's clothing. They pretend they're for these noble social causes, but in reality, all they care about is themselves and their business. The audacity of some people, it just never fails to surprise me. It's really sickening.
This!
Old 11-29-2013, 06:04 AM
Scientist

The company has lost out on my money and others who are fans of Beastie Boys. Did they pick up sales from this debacle? Perhaps, but the long-term harm to their reputation could outweigh a viral youtube smash hit video. We do not know if their sales increased initially and then dove-tailed (i.e., regression to the mean) after the 'con' was revealed to more prudent consumers. I can only hope. Your sales to liberal / alternative consumers must be hurt when the lead singer of Radiohead is 'against' you.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCScoobyT View Post
somebody needs to make a mash-up with the original 'Girls' song over the top of that commercial... or even better throw 'What Comes Around' on top of the vid
If there is anyone on this board that knows how to make shitty mash-ups it's you homeboy.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:17 PM
Mr.Doris tha Funk-A-Suars

shitty mash-ups are my specialty ---> yourmamasbasementsyourhomeboy!

I just haven't got into video mash-ups yet... and shouldn't

How come Rube Goldberg's estate isn't pissed about this one?

Go download my Beastie Boys remixes
Peace, MCScoobyT

http://beastiemixes.com/remixer.php?id=69

Last edited by MCScoobyT : 11-29-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 PM

I concur.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCScoobyT View Post

How come Rube Goldberg's estate isn't pissed about this one?
not sure of serious

it's a contraption!

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Fair Use

The hiatus is back off ... again. Beasties file a response and counterclaims to Goldieblox's declaratory judgment suit alleging copyright and trademark infringement, misappropriation of the right of publicity, and other claims.

Story and filing here.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:28 PM

Good for the Beasties. Thank god. I would have been upset if these hucksters were allowed to get away with this.