Old 02-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Monkey News

Default biking

I know a lot of you guys bike. what do you ride? how often? where do you ride? do you keep track of how many miles you ride a season? anybody ride seriously?

I have a 2011 trek top fuel which has almost all custom parts:
http://www.trekbikes.com/images/bike...ilverblack.jpg

I ride a combination of road and steep trails. I try to ride at least 20 miles each ride. sometimes I hit 50 miles. the most I've ever ridden in one day is around 80 miles. that was a while ago when I would ride three times a day if I had the whole day off. last summer I rode 1100 miles. I use to ride 2000+ a year. i'd like to approach that again but I doubt I ever will. my riding season is usually from mid spring to mid autumn.

I have a bunch of old parts I've accumulated over the years that I plan to use to make a new bike. all I need is a frame. I just ordered this fame as a beater/spare/friend bike: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/225...tail-Frame.htm

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 02-01-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:47 AM
not punk enough

Thumbs up Re: biking

I commute if that counts? 20 miles a day in total, five days a week. Sometimes out at the weekend. I love it.

I recently gave away my BMX to a charity recently and right now I just have one bike - a good practical hard tail and rigid forks commuter-cum-tourer bike. Like with the panniers, dynamo lights, all the mudguards etc

I want to get a bit more into hill training (London is too flat but moving back up north soon - I hope) and maybe something I could do a proper epic ride with that can handle a few dirt trails. I've had an eye on this 29er by Corratec. It's been on my shopping list of while but I am waiting for a voucher code to come my way first. I was always a little dubious about 29 inch wheels but I read some reviews and the concept I like - a comfortable long fairly easy ride at. Travel round the coast of the UK doing around 20-60 miles a day camping light is on my to-do list in the next few years.

Last edited by Adam : 02-02-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:32 AM
just here for the .gifs

Default Re: biking

http://bikesdirect.com/products/merc...gal9_bignr.jpg

^I have that thing. I generally just use it as a mode of transportation. I bike almost everyday 6-20 miles, unless temps drop below 20. It's all city biking, mostly flat except for bridges over the river. My longest ride was 75 miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebasser View Post
So wait, this guy is driving around in his jeep with his cat and his television in the back and he's got his favourite music blaring away and... I think I've missed the point.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:37 AM
eating corn, baby!

I used to ride my bike every Sunday for about 6km, I guess, but I never really kept track of the time and kilometers. Recently I bought a polar watch, but I never used. I love riding my bike, but I feel lazy, very lazy.:/

"It smells like ass soup in here!"

Old 02-02-2013, 11:33 AM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss soul fire View Post
I used to ride my bike every Sunday for about 6km, I guess, but I never really kept track of the time and kilometers. Recently I bought a polar watch, but I never used. I love riding my bike, but I feel lazy, very lazy.:/
are polar watches one of those gps type things? there's these small gps devices that keeps track of where you went and how much change in elevation you experienced on your ride/run. you can upload it to your computer and it keeps track of what you've accomplished. they're huge motivators.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
technically insane

I have 2 bikes. I plan on selling one.

I have an altitude moniter coming cause I climb some hills and want to know.

earl@fuckyoumyman.com

Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Wood View Post
http://bikesdirect.com/products/merc...gal9_bignr.jpg

^I have that thing. I generally just use it as a mode of transportation. I bike almost everyday 6-20 miles, unless temps drop below 20. It's all city biking, mostly flat except for bridges over the river. My longest ride was 75 miles.
road bikes are so smooooooth and light. I just find them to be too twitchy. I've always wanted one but I spend too much time in the dirt to warrant one. I wish I could ride all year long. well I can. I just fucking hate the cold with a passion.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:21 AM
Monkey News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I commute if that counts? 20 miles a day in total, five days a week. Sometimes out at the weekend. I love it.

I recently gave away my BMX to a charity recently and right now I just have one bike - a good practical hard tail and rigid forks commuter-cum-tourer bike. Like with the panniers, dynamo lights, all the mudguards etc

I want to get a bit more into hill training (London is too flat but moving back up north soon - I hope) and maybe something I could do a proper epic ride with that can handle a few dirt trails. I've had an eye on this 29er by Corratec. It's been on my shopping list of while but I am waiting for a voucher code to come my way first. I was always a little dubious about 29 inch wheels but I read some reviews and the concept I like - a comfortable long fairly easy ride at. Travel round the coast of the UK doing around 20-60 miles a day camping light is on my to-do list in the next few years.
29er's are more for more advanced trail riding. I don't really see why they'd make a 29er commuter bike. the whole reasoning behind larger wheels is that larger wheels roll over holes better. there's no reason for the added weight of 29inch wheels and the larger frame to accommodate them on a commuter bike(commuter bikes are already heavy enough). if you wanna go the 29er rout just get a basic hardtail cross country mountain bike. it may be expensive as 29ers haven't been around that long. affordable durable hardtails can weigh like 25lbs or less.

and for whatever reason commuter bikes are insanely over priced.

Last edited by TurdBerglar : 02-02-2013 at 11:23 AM.