Old 07-07-2019, 08:54 PM
Music est. 1986

Default Feel Like A King - Frontline

I have been looking for years to hear the frontline song that the beasties used on Time For Livin' and finally stumbled upon it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrTaxhHnzL4

I was always mistaken thinking that the name of the song by Frontline was also called "Time For Livin'" I think there have been sources that actually say this as well. The actual song they covered is called "Feel Like a King"

Maybe some of you have already known this.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:55 PM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Default Re: Feel Like A King - Frontline

Frontline music with Sly and Family Stone lyrics/title with a nod to Scratch perry

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CqRtibd4VME

I actually didn’t know about that Frontline bass line stuff, another cool Yauch story:

http://www.beastiemania.com/songspot...s=timeforlivin

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Last edited by YoungRemy : 07-07-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2019, 08:22 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungRemy View Post
I actually didn’t know about that Frontline bass line stuff, another cool Yauch story:

http://www.beastiemania.com/songspot...s=timeforlivin
that is a great story

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Old 07-10-2019, 03:20 AM

I was reading about Frontline, it's interesting that they were a hardcore band in the same scene as the Beasties, they were graffiti artists, and then later 2 of the members were in the production team SD50 aka Stimulated Dummies. SD50 produced a lot of great stuff in the early 90s, some of the songs on the first Brand Nubian album among others. It just shows how fluid the scenes in NY were even back then, I think even more so than a lot of people understood. The Beasties were considered groundbreaking at the time for going from one style to another, and they are of course, but it seems that in the scene or scenes that they grew up in this kind of thing was more common than a lot of people were aware of.

I think if nothing else it demonstrates how creative people really could care less about categories and labeled styles, and are just going to gravitate toward who and what they instinctively vibe with. People tend to think of this as more of a modern phenomenon, but maybe it's always been like this, look at Miles Davis and all the different phases he went through, as well as countless other artists before and after him doing the same type of thing.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 AM
crazy sniffable

i think what set the bboys apart was their penchant to implement multiple formats across a single LP, and their ability to implement aesthetics from various genres within a single production. and pulling it off in a way that is fluid and accessible. while alot of adventurers, like Miles Davis in this instance, would more so go through phases, completely committing to a new style for an album or era and then moving on, whereas the boys would kind of just absorb a new style into their canon, thus expanding their palate of colors from then on.

Old 07-11-2019, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother McDuff View Post
i think what set the bboys apart was their penchant to implement multiple formats across a single LP, and their ability to implement aesthetics from various genres within a single production. and pulling it off in a way that is fluid and accessible. while alot of adventurers, like Miles Davis in this instance, would more so go through phases, completely committing to a new style for an album or era and then moving on, whereas the boys would kind of just absorb a new style into their canon, thus expanding their palate of colors from then on.
Yeah, that was definitely something they loved to do, throwing everything they could think of on the wall and seeing what sticks. I remember Mike saying that a lot of the process was a lot of stripping things away to get to the final version people would hear.

As far as having multiple styles on the same record, I guess the Beatles would probably be originators in that sense. But the Beasties would combine various styles into the same song, which is taking things further. This is mainly on the rap songs. The jazz and hardcore songs are mostly straightforward. There were exceptions though. Gratitude is a cool progressive mix of rock and funk and soul. Lee Majors is an unusual mix of a hardcore song with rhyming over it. I think the fact that they came along when hip hop was starting to blow up made this mixing of styles come off stronger, it was like different worlds coming together to make something new. Many artists followed their path, to the point that nowadays, this all seems very normal.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
I have been looking for years to hear the frontline song that the beasties used on Time For Livin' and finally stumbled upon it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrTaxhHnzL4

I was always mistaken thinking that the name of the song by Frontline was also called "Time For Livin'" I think there have been sources that actually say this as well. The actual song they covered is called "Feel Like a King"

Maybe some of you have already known this.
Excellent find! I've never heard the original song. Cool to see how close they played it musically, but it really became its own thing.

re: the Frontline Bass story. That story is quoted right out of the anthology booklet ( I was really hoping the BBoys Book would have those original write ups and let the Adam and Mike talk about the original printed story vs any new memories or factoids or corrections... case in point the story Adrock tells about Sabotage is 1000% different in the anthology book than it is the Bboys book.) But i guess if like me, you put the booklet away w/ all of your CD cases 10 years ago and migrated everything to iTunes then it would be easy to forget this stuff.

also " Mario handed me the Sony Karaoke mic "... that's interesting. EVERY TIME the secret weapon mic gets mentioned by one of them they act like it is this gigantic trade secret and they are letting it go for the first time. But it was right there in the booklet in 1999. I wonder if it had been spilled before then.

message board

Old 07-13-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post

re: the Frontline Bass story. That story is quoted right out of the anthology booklet ( I was really hoping the BBoys Book would have those original write ups and let the Adam and Mike talk about the original printed story vs any new memories or factoids or corrections... case in point the story Adrock tells about Sabotage is 1000% different in the anthology book than it is the Bboys book.) But i guess if like me, you put the booklet away w/ all of your CD cases 10 years ago and migrated everything to iTunes then it would be easy to forget this stuff.
I love the BBoys book, but strangely I feel I learnt more about their song making process from the anthology booklet. Perhaps it’s because I used to read it over and over again when I was younger so it’s just more ingrained. But if I had one complaint about the book, it is that they could have covered more track/specific creative points.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 07-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
I love the BBoys book, but strangely I feel I learnt more about their song making process from the anthology booklet. Perhaps it’s because I used to read it over and over again when I was younger so it’s just more ingrained. But if I had one complaint about the book, it is that they could have covered more track/specific creative points.

Exact same. Was hoping the book was going to be the anthology booklet part 2. And for the most part, the book had what the Anthology book had like song reviews, gear stuff, writing certain songs. The book also a bit different, a beasties album in book forum. I guess I just wanted another anthology book too.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave790 View Post
That is my exact same only complaint, as well.

message board

Old 07-15-2019, 12:55 PM
crazy sniffable

im super into nitty gritty song-craft details too, however i understood going into this endeavor that it was the story of the band rather than a tour of their process. between the remaster album commentaries and beastiemania’s song spotlight though, there is a generous amount of track specific content to lather up out there.

p.s. the catalogued diagram of their gear in the book was a great piece of insight into their alchemy though, i will say.