Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Non-Beastie Boys > Beastie-Free General Discussion

View Poll Results: How awesome was it?
1 0 0%
2 0 0%
3 0 0%
4 0 0%
5 1 6.67%
6 0 0%
7 0 0%
8 1 6.67%
9 3 20.00%
10 5 33.33%
Echewta/More songs by Sting 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM
I'm back.

Default RATE: Avengers

I'm really happy Joss Whedon has made the number one movie in the world right now. This summer is going to break a lot of records.

Last edited by ProfJIM : 05-06-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:07 PM

Default Re: RATE: Avengers

I liked the straight forward approach. The reboot/rehashing aspect of comic book series tends to be daunting to me, so most of what I read tends to be one off graphic novels and/or horror and crime comics from the early 1950s.

What I liked is that it had an appropriate amount of cheese to it, but it was comic book cheese exactly the way it should be done i.e. Loki getting pummeled by the Hulk. The story was told well, but it wasn't taking itself too seriously, and it was an enjoyable watch.

When comparing to something like, The Dark Knight, for example....its easy for me to forget that it was based off a comic book reimage. With this, everything about it feels like a comic...which is precisely what worked so well for it.

I have my doubts that I will enjoy Dark Knight Rises more than this, to be honest.

I'd say 9.5

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uninte...v=wall&ref=sgm

Old 05-06-2012, 10:16 PM
The Super Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Notorious LOL View Post
What I liked is that it had an appropriate amount of cheese to it, but it was comic book cheese exactly the way it should be done i.e. Loki getting pummeled by the Hulk. The story was told well, but it wasn't taking itself too seriously, and it was an enjoyable watch.
I mostly agree with this. The cheesiness wore thin by the end of the movie, at least for me. I don't really have any specific complaint other than that, though. The action scenes were extremely well done, all the effects looked top notch. Even the characterization was great, and most superhero movies can't lay claim to that.

I'd give it an 8.5 to 9. I picked the Echewta option because come on.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:48 AM
Battletoad

I gave it a 10 although it's not the perfect movie. Are we talking spoilers in here or are we reserving that for a time when everyone's had a chance to see it? I'd like to talk about it in more detail but I don't want to soil someone else's moviegoing experience.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: RATE: Avengers

You can't give it a 10 if it's not the perfect movie. Besides that, it's clearly not a 10. If Avengers Assemble is a 10/10 then what is On The Waterfront? North By Northwest? Goodfellas? Do you really mean to tell me Avengers Assemble is as good as these films?

To summarise: Toucan is a fanboy douche.

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 05-08-2012, 04:21 AM
Smart

Arrow Re: RATE: Avengers

Also, I thought the film was pretty awesome, despite being skeptical about the whole 10 year plan cash-in thing. Would give it an 8.5 or a 9.

I'm going off, getting paid and I don't ask why

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 AM
Battletoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post
You can't give it a 10 if it's not the perfect movie. Besides that, it's clearly not a 10. If Avengers Assemble is a 10/10 then what is On The Waterfront? North By Northwest? Goodfellas? Do you really mean to tell me Avengers Assemble is as good as these films?

I can give it whatever number I want, rube. I enjoyed the movie from start to finish and there's only small things to take issue with. As for comparing the movie to other movies, where in this thread did anyone say it was a comparative analysis? Chill out, man.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 PM

Its hard to assign a simple number to a movie and run with that, based on varying genres, what the movie is about, etc.

This is a 9.5 for a fun straight to the point comic book movie. I'd probably give the same score to some of my favorite Hitchcock movies, but the number itself wouldn't necessarily mean that I like both equally. For an action movie to be a 9 or 10, it has to be a really fun movie. For a drama to get a 9 or 10, it has to have an amazing story/top notch acting, etc.

This isnt going to win any Oscars, and it doesn't deserve any...but for what it is, it is awesome.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Uninte...v=wall&ref=sgm

Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
street legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJIM View Post
I'm really happy Joss Whedon has made the number one movie in the world right now.
Me too. Due to Buffy I will follow him anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
wake me up before jabumbo
jabumbohemian rhapsody
lolkats the way ah-ah-ah-ah i like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickill View Post
Eyes Without A Faz
Bob-A O'Riley
If Looks Could kll

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM
I'm back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Padster View Post

It's about enjoyment. You can love a "imperfect" movie just as much as a critically lauded "perfect" one.