Go Back   Beastie Boys Message Board > Beastie Boys > General Beastie Boys Discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 04:02 PM

Default PYB appreciation thread

set the bag on fire for the fuck of it!!! one of the best trax out there!

thank you Adam.

Old 06-03-2013, 04:48 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Default Re: PYB appreciation thread

Best b-side since Skills to Pay the Bills. Yeah, I said it.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 06-03-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodie View Post
Best b-side since Skills to Pay the Bills. Yeah, I said it.
I don't know. "The Vibes" is pretty outstanding.

Yes Adam yauch was very spiritual yes he raised awareness about the situation in Tibet yea he was a great father , husband and friend but most of all he was a dope MC one of the greatest to ever pick up a mike his voice will be missed- Chris Rock

Old 06-04-2013, 09:30 AM

Hot beats. I wish Zdar mastered it tho. It's kinda lacking sound quality wise compared to the rest of HSCP2.

I ran it through Protools and boosted it up a little.
Old 06-04-2013, 11:49 AM

^ can you post up your boosted version?

ditto on Zdar mixing it

cosign on this being possibly the hottest track from the HSC period

mike shines like a mofo
Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Judge Mental

good lyrics but although i like the beat it feels like they were trying to sound like some of the newer acts out there and it doesnt feel like one of their greats.

the sound man losing his soup is class though

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
give it time, we will go in wonderous directions. mainly calling people cunts.

www.beastiemixes.com/Guy Incognito

Old 06-04-2013, 11:59 AM
NYC Brouhaha Division

Light up my jet pack and I'm gone...

Long Burn The Fire. Rest In Peace Adam.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
good lyrics but although i like the beat it feels like they were trying to sound like some of the newer acts out there
Name one. I don't hear anything like this out there.

Respectfully.

It's got ooh ahh eeehs, hoop references, and French lyrics all in the first couple bars! Dats bboy shit!

Long Burn the Fire

Adam Yauch

1964 - 2012

Old 06-04-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micodin View Post
Hot beats. I wish Zdar mastered it tho. It's kinda lacking sound quality wise compared to the rest of HSCP2.

I ran it through Protools and boosted it up a little.
I assumed he had tweaked it a bit, besides the obvious differences it sounds so much better and thicker than the NBA Live Version we were treated to in 2009.

This is sometimes my favorite track of off HSCPtwhatever besides maybe Say It and Long Burn The Fire

message board

Old 06-04-2013, 12:52 PM

there are 2 versions? i thought it was just this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pz4b_ZYKiY

i want to hear micodin's boosted version. killer track but agreed the production could use a bit of a tweak
Old 06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Judge Mental

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshabi View Post
Name one. I don't hear anything like this out there.

Respectfully.

It's got ooh ahh eeehs, hoop references, and French lyrics all in the first couple bars! Dats bboy shit!
I thought someone might pick up on that.

I cant name anything in particular. It just sounded a bit less beastie than the rest of the hsc stuff. A bit more formulaic really. apart from the rhymes and the silliness at the end, its just a beat and a couple of loops, didnt seem to be the sonic messing about and random sounds/samples that they usually do.

maybe i shouldnt have said "like others", maybe i should have said its not very typical of them, i could imagine other acts putting out something like that beat and groove. Wherea a lot of their stuff could only be done by them

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosta View Post
give it time, we will go in wonderous directions. mainly calling people cunts.

www.beastiemixes.com/Guy Incognito

Old 06-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Registered Lurker

Too much Bollywood.
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
crazy sniffable

Quote:

agree 100%. i think the only thing that keeps it from being my fav HSC era track is the muddy mixdown. the original Too Many Rappers mixdown (the single version I believe) was very similar in that it was similarly dull and flat.

if i recall correctly, the bboys said in an interview that they'd originally intended (and tried) to mix the album down themselves, but eventually came to their senses and enlisted Zdar to take the helm. Pop Your Balloon of course surfaced long before Zdar got involved, so. i suppose the bboys were better suited to stay on the "other side of the glass" so-to-say in the studio.

on a side note, its typical for artists of their caliber and longevity to have poor ears. so many years of creating music and touring turns their ears to shit. very common in fact. i imagine this was a factor in their attempt to mix HSC on their own.

an interesting thought though, i think, is that if Yauch hadn't gotten sick they likely wouldn't have ever second-thought the mixdown and decided to seek out an outside engineer. the whole album's sonic identity would have sounded considerably more amateurish had Yauch's health not turned on him.

it's just 2 wheels and me, the wind in eyes...

Last edited by Brother McDuff : 06-04-2013 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Current Member

Pop Your Balloon and B-Boys in the Cut both got the Zdar treatment. Alongside the rest of the deluxe download they sound equally as spruced as any one of the album tracks- which is to say they don't compare in the least to the awful OG dull thump mix of Too Many Rapppers.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Pop Your Balloon is good. A little too much like a do-over of Shazam. But good.

It all just ends up making me wonder about the remaining Hot Sauce tracks.

Shout at the Devil!

Last edited by Kid Presentable : 06-04-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Music est. 1986

am I the only one around here who actually likes the the OG version of TMR?
Old 06-04-2013, 08:29 PM
PhD In Parapsychology

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
II like it, but I do prefer the album version. I still wish a proper copy of the OG version was released though.

Also in the FFYRR/HSCP2 book (which includes Pop Your Balloon and B-Boys in the Cut) it says "all tracks mixed by Beastie Boys and Zdar." I always assumed that they both got re-mixed, I don't see why they wouldn't.

"There's more to me then you'll ever know." - Adam Yauch, Hey Ladies

Old 06-04-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyndust View Post
no, i liked it better too
Old 06-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Current Member

It's not so much the musical arrangement of the original 'version' I didn't feel (although the bassline was a little droll), more the dull and lifeless audio dynamics of the original mix. It sounded so flat and just wrong.

Similar thing sprang out on that Z-Trip mix thingy that came out a while back. I think it was a beat off something from one of their 90s albums which segued into the original mix of Make Some Noise (which would have at that point been on the upcoming HSC1 prior to the delay of both the album and the Z-trip mix), and that mix also sounded weak and flat - a fact which was only highlighted further when side by side with earlier, better mixed/mastered material, too.

It was cool that they went back and re-tooled the final mix. Crud circumstances which surrounded the project, obviously.

Somewhat related, I enjoyed reading this.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-05-2013, 06:13 AM
WACK! JACKED! BACK! RIDE!

Good call!

Still baffles me why this wasn't on the proper album, although in the age of the digital download I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'm assuming this and "B-Boys In The Cut" didn't make the LP since they had been in circulation prior to the album coming out. "Lee Majors" and "TMR" were also out, but "Lee Majors" was the only hardcore presence on the album and you can't shelve a track with Nas, right? (Although, as much as I hate to say it, I'm still not feeling "TMR.")

"Pop Your Balloon" always cracks me up because the hook is something you might sing at a kid's birthday party, but the verses are the most gangsta the Beasties had been in years...chucking smoke bombs into radio stations and counterfeiting money, c'mon now!

P.S. The B-side version sounds ALOT better than the bootleg I had prior to it coming out which would lead me to believe it was remixed by Zdar as well.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Juice View Post
Good call!

Still baffles me why this wasn't on the proper album, although in the age of the digital download I guess it really doesn't matter.

I'm assuming this and "B-Boys In The Cut" didn't make the LP since they had been in circulation prior to the album coming out. "Lee Majors" and "TMR" were also out, but "Lee Majors" was the only hardcore presence on the album and you can't shelve a track with Nas, right? (Although, as much as I hate to say it, I'm still not feeling "TMR.")

"Pop Your Balloon" always cracks me up because the hook is something you might sing at a kid's birthday party, but the verses are the most gangsta the Beasties had been in years...chucking smoke bombs into radio stations and counterfeiting money, c'mon now!

P.S. The B-side version sounds ALOT better than the bootleg I had prior to it coming out which would lead me to believe it was remixed by Zdar as well.
I still don't feel TMR as well. I think its the worst track on the record. I have both versions of PYB and the album version is definitely crisper...

thank you Adam.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Presentable View Post
Pop Your Balloon and B-Boys in the Cut both got the Zdar treatment.
Incorrect. They were both mixed down by the B-Boys. It doesn't take much of an ear to hear the difference. Zdar has a signature sound in his mixing. But, then again I've been producing music for the past 15+ years.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Current Member

Nope. Larry Routine and the deluxe B-boys in the Cut's Larry routine comparison is proof enough. Listen to the 'signature' of the original TMR mix and tell me that the deluxe Pop has anything in common with it. I have a good ear for this shit, without credentials.

Not that it matters. Ask someone close to the band and they'd be like "who cares?" haha

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. They were both mixed down by the B-Boys. It doesn't take much of an ear to hear the difference. Zdar has a signature sound in his mixing. But, then again I've been producing music for the past 15+ years.

Yeah, to me, The PYB B-Side has the same quality in the mixing that the rest of HSCPt2 has. The NBA Live version is so thin and weak in comparison. Even if Zdar did not do the re-mix/master it's pretty clear that it was re-mixed. There are little things in the b-side like Mike's "tron" line and some of the flourishes that are identical to other Zdar/Bboy tweaks throughout the album. Oh well.

message board

Old 06-05-2013, 08:26 AM
Current Member

Yeah you listen to the deluxe in full, it all sounds like the same piece of work.

An honest question is: where are the mix credits for the two bonus tracks in question? I'm happy to be wrong, but I've only ever seen all songs mixed by beastie boys and zdar.

And naturally they're going to sound better than the bootleg rips, I just think whatever signature sound there may be, it's evident in all of the tracks intended for the album. Mixed first, cut from the tracklist later.

Shout at the Devil!

Old 06-05-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
It's not so much the musical

Somewhat related, I enjoyed reading this.
That was an excellent read!

message board

Old 06-05-2013, 09:22 AM
Music est. 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiberish View Post
That was an excellent read!
Agreed. A lot of the technical specs were over my head but still interesting to read about the process. I was trying to study the screen shot of the pro tools shot to see any samples they may have used.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:43 AM

I think both the bonus tracks were mixed / mastered by Zdar, it seems obvious enough. I doubt they had the final sequencing down before getting Zdar involved, why would they not cover all the tracks? Also, it seems pretty obvious from hearing the original versions and then comparing them to the versions released on the deluxe edition...

I remain curious to hear the original album as intended, whether for better or worse. It represents a kinda 'lost' artifact. Also, to go against the grain a little here, I don't particularly enjoy Zdar's treatment of Lee Majors. It's like a paradox - overproduced hardcore. And although I agree the original TMR was a bit murky sounding, it is for me the superior version.

Quote:
DIAMOND: He wishes he could be here right now. So do we.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Nope. Larry Routine and the deluxe B-boys in the Cut's Larry routine comparison is proof enough. Listen to the 'signature' of the original TMR mix and tell me that the deluxe Pop has anything in common with it. I have a good ear for this shit, without credentials.

Not that it matters. Ask someone close to the band and they'd be like "who cares?" haha
I'm not going to get in a pissing match. Basically because I don't give a fuck.

I have the deluxe versions of PYB & B-Boys in the Cut and I feel they didn't have the punch that the rest of the record has. Whatever. I put them both in Protools 10 and they sound a lot better to my ears.

To each his own. I was just saying I have an ear for it because my job is DJing and music production. I wasn't trying to be a prick.

Carry on.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:36 AM

The phasey/flangey sound that was added or made more prominent to the final version of TMR was unnecessary and kind of broke it. And yeah, i guess the mix or remaster or whatever it's called - the sound was different
Old 06-05-2013, 11:40 AM

Rickity-rickity-rickity-rickity-wow!

thank you Adam.